Grendel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NightStalker, May 12, 2019.

1. NightStalker

NightStalker New Member

I know most on this thread are 68spec fans, but I’m looking at a Grendel after hearing about how good they are at longer ranges, does anyone use one for hogs?

2. Ratdog68

Ratdog68 LSB Official Story Teller LoneStarBoars Supporter

Define "longer ranges". The two calibers are so close to one another in performance, it's pretty much a wash.

3. der Teufel

der Teufel Livin' the Dream … SUS VENATOR CLUB

Be sure to consider the barrel length of the rifle you're considering. Some Grendel ballistic numbers are obtained using a 24" barrel. Shorter barrels are still good, but make certain that you are looking at real world numbers for your application.

4. NightStalker

NightStalker New Member

Ranges I’ve understood that the Grendel shines at 500+ yds
    I like the 16 in barrels so yes that would need to be considered

5. chthump

chthump LSB Member

Love the grendel, distance out to 500 yards on steel, no problem, I don’t think its as hard hitting as the 68spc. One thing i like , it doesn’t push me off target as much as the 68spc, when engaging multiple moving targets

6. Ratdog68

Ratdog68 LSB Official Story Teller LoneStarBoars Supporter

The Grendel (generally) needs more barrel length to enjoy the posted (on some forums) numbers. The 6.8 does better from shorter barrels (in comparison), it's sort of where it shines. By the time the Grendel's bullet's BC advantage kicks in, it's a question of how much punch and velocity is left over at the distance in question (exceeding 500). If you're going to be killing more things beyond 500, and want the BC numbers of the 6.5, start considering the Creedmore… or, a .308.

Pick Brian Shafer's brain on the Grendel and 500+, he's probably killed more hogs with this caliber than most others on this forum (with that round). His input isn't going to be laced with 5 gallons of KoolAid (like on some forums where the majority of the fan bois hang out).

7. NightStalker

NightStalker New Member

Kool aid I like that, thanks

8. Curly Shuffle

Curly Shuffle LSB Active Member SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Started with a 6.8 long ago but have switched to Grendel and haven't looked back. It is a matter of choice! Kind of like me and my TRD Sport Tundra CrewMax!! Love the Grendel and love my Tundra!!

9. TEXASLAWMAN

TEXASLAWMAN Lone Star Boars Owner LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Tried them both no real advantage I could find with the grendel unless you had a 20 + inch barrel. 6.8 ammo is widely used here in Texas and way easier to find so ditched the grendel. But I like dead pigs and the 308 seems to do that best so I shoot 90% 308 these days. Ammo is cheap, hits hard, and is in every small town store in Texas.

der Teufel likes this.