Great read on big game bullets

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
No mention of the 6.8 SPC? I see a lot more Federal, Remington, and Hornady 6.8 SPC ammo available in my area then I ever see 30 RAR, 450 bushmaster, 458 socom, 50 beowulf. Plus, when he wrote this "While they will work, I am not a fan of sub .30-caliber cartridges for hog hunting, so I would start with the .308 Winchester" he lost credibility to me. So a .277 diameter bullet won't do similar damage as a 30 cal? Why do so many people hunt deer, elk, beer, and hogs with the 270 winchester round? What about the thousands of hogs we have all killed with the 6.8 SPC? I think the author hasn't completely educated himself on what is available in the AR15 platform and discounts anything under a 30 caliber round.

I left a comment, but it has to be "approved" by the editing staff before it will be posted.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think the writer like big bullets, which if you were a reloader are probably better. Buying factory ammo like I do the 6.8 works just fine.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The opinion of Towsley is of little matter to me, he's displayed ass-like behavior in more than one of his pathetic attempts at authoring an article concerning the AR platform. The braying of an ass is nothing more than just that... the braying of an ass.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Towsley's article concerning the 6.8 SPC was about the most pathetic blathering of an ill-informed blow hard fool I've ever wasted my time to read. There's an old thread about him, and his article archived in the 68forums pages. If I remember correctly, I posted exactly what I penned to Towsley in my reply to his article (then). The idiot failed to correct himself, and opted to try and incorporate the email addresses of those criticizing his words into some sort of support network. A year or so later, I received an email from the fool, inviting me to support some project of his. He reminds me of someone who failed as a politician and now strives to be someone of influence by offering opinion of calibers. Hmmm... the connection of those two thoughts make more sense than first considered.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I felt like he was promoting remington the entire time I was reading the article. How many times did he mention hog hammer ammo.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
as I remember the hog hammer ammo w the barnes bullet is as under powered as their 6.8 offering.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I just looked at some 130 grain Remington hog hammer for 300 blk. The box stated roughly 2000 fps at the muzzle from a 16" barrel. PATHETIC and $32 a box!

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The most I can get a 130gr out of my 16" 6.8 SPC is around 2300 fps. I shoot a axis spike once with that load and it failed to penetrate the spine. Once it hit bone it just stopped, I got luckey that there was enough energy to break the spinal cord and put the spike down, but I had to deliver a mercy shot to the neck to finish it off. So 2k from a 130gr has no chance of being ethical hunting round.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Towsley is a joke, and an ass in real life. I had the pleasure of meeting with him years ago, treated me like a bellhop when I was the range manager for a custom rifle company (I did load development and function checks on all rifles built).

Harris hawker

LSB Member
I saw he didn't look at anything under 30 cal.
He did say what I think most of is think, the 300 is very under powered.
He seems to like 30 cal + guns.
He is a Remington honk and says so.
From what I have read the 30 RAR is a very lovely round.
BUT,
The RAR doesn't have brass on the market?
There is something holding it back that Remington has a hand in.
It seems to have a following but some people like to tinker with stuff and Remington won't let that happen for some reason.
Why does Remington do this?
Their 6.8 and now the RAR!
Why do they do this, creat something people like and dismiss it or not give shooters any reason to keep up with it?
Oh well.

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Bryce Towsley is an idiot! trust me I've sat and had dinner with him! Told my dear friend that was on his way to hunt with him, That I didn't envy what he was about to go through. He didn't understand.........two days later he wrote a letter to Remington and NAH telling them exactly what he thought of his conduct and shooting abilities!
Men that can't shoot always blame the caliber!

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
oh by the way he passed on the two days they had booked with me because of snow! An eleven year old boy can hunt with me in extreme weather and consistently make head neck shots on hogs, maybe he should write for NAH. He is obviously more qualified.

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
ha! just went back and started reading all the replies. Ratdog my opinion of you just skyrocketed! My good friend wrote in and told them what he thought and they edited to such a degree to make him look like an idiot and make bryce look like..................

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The First time I met him, my good friend Byron South brought him and some other brown noser, that had his nose shoved so far you know where, that it looked like bryce had two noses. Bryce was introduced to me along with Vice President of EOTech Ed Shoppman and Linda powel from Remington now with mossberg I believe. Anyway Linda shook my hand like a man as did Ed and byron. The brown noser shook like a girl and bryce was too good to even offer to shake my hand. I can tell you this Linda gave bryce the what for over supper. whoo hoo you go girl!
That trip started my relationship with EOTech.

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've been fuming over that article a long time!

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I was so excited to get my 300 blackout. It was my first rifle caliber AR-15, and I would be using it to hunt hogs.

My first hog encounter resulted in a 100 lb sow, dropped dead in her tracks at about 75 yards. I was hooked, line and sinker'ed on the cartridge.

That was until I shot my next 7 hogs with it. All of which required some amount of blood trailing or even worse a complete loss.

Two years and some 60 hogs later with a track record of some 25% dropped in tracks, 50% needing to be trailed, and 25% lost hog with the blackout, I started searching for something with a little more "juice" for hunting. I decided to skip past the 6.8 and Grendel when I found the 300 OSSM. And most recently just received my new and first wildcat cartridge, the 270AR. I can't wait to see what those 120 grain SST's will do at 2900+ ft./sec.

I agree with the author that the 300 blk is not enough gun for hogs. Just not enough velocity for big game. Sure, it's fine for smaller pigs. But I don't set out with the intention of shooting the smaller ones. Sometimes it works out that way, sometime not. I also happen to agree with the author about head shots. I was not taught to shoot big game animals (deer) in the head and just don't feel comfortable doing so for the very reasons the author listed. I would never try to tell someone else what to do, it's just not for me.

Glad we have the choices we do.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just for the record, I don't defend the .300 WTF (or, .300 Barrack Obama... or, whatever you want to call it). I won't have one (but, that's a whole 'nuther tale). Towsley is nothing more than a braying ass, no matter WHAT blathers from his moving lips.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Wildfowler, May I please ask...in your above post(#17)you stated ....."some 60 hogs later".... 1.What were the distances that you hit these hogs at ?? 2. What bullet(s) were they hit with ?? 3. What were the MV of these bullets ?? 4. Where on the hog did these bullets hit at ?? IOW.... were these carefully placed shots or were the shots taken at running(scattering) hog sounders ?? What is the twist rate of your barrel ??

I own a NEF/ACC version of the 300BO. I have been loading for it and shooting it for awhile now. I have never killed a hog or deer with the gun. I have no use for a AR or bolt gun chambered in this round. My only application is for use with the lightweight supersonic loaded bullets that will properly expand at the BO's reduced velocities. This gun is only used at the closer ranges(<100yds). --- pruhdlr