Gotta Remember To Hit "Record"

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Monday night was a great night to be out. Temps were moderate. Humidity wasn't bad. The wind was up at times, but not too bad most of the time. On this property, I usually set up on a high ridge on the east side, but have been seeing hogs on the neighbor's place to the west, so this time I set up on the west side and hoped the hogs would come across the fence. I had a great spot to hunt. And for most of the evening I saw nothing but raccoons in the lake.

Not seeing any hogs in the huge field to the west I tried calling coyotes using various rabbit calls. After 10 minutes, gave it a rest, but scanned for a couple more minutes with rifle. Nothing. Rested the rifle against a tree and sat on the camp stool I brought and scanned by hand. Then I saw this rabbit running. No, wait, it was a coyote way off in the distance. So I got the caller up and going with some tortured rabbit sound and got my rifle up and watched the coyote come in the last 100 yards or so where it was standing down wind of me and I didn't have the recorder turned on....

Turned on the recorder and counted to 10 (apparently fast) not believing the coyote was still there and pulled the trigger and the coyote disappeared. Uneven ground and varied levels of grass made the search difficult and that is when I spied the hogs and ran to get the caller going to draw them in from the neighbor's property.

They seemed to head my way...and then ran away. No idea why they ran. Looked to maybe be a group of bachelor boars, but who knows?

Searched for my coyote for another hour before finally finding it, the hogs still on the neighbor's place.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How far did the Yote run?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good 'yote down ! Too bad those hogs didn't cooperate for ya. AB should've herded 'em in for ya.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How far did the Yote run?

Coming in or going out? Going by memory and checking a map for the property, I probably first saw the coyote at 250-300 yards. So he came in about 150-200 yards before stopping.

Going out? He didn't go anywhere. He just got swallered up in the grass. When I finally spied him with thermal, the spot wasn't any larger than some of the birds I scared up walking around, only this spot didn't move. As I got within about 10 feet, more of him came exposed. For an open field shot, he was a bugger to find.

RD, AB really isn't into that sort of manual labor, but he appreciates the thought.

Last edited:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I didn't see the video at first, thought it was just a picture. I thought it took an hour to find him because he ran. My mistake. Good job!

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice yote Brian, I hate when the pigs tease you like that. Kinda like the nine fat ones I found last night.... out in the open in the only clearing around. There was only one issue, the herd of bovine bodyguards surrounding them :mad:

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice yote down! Gnarly exit wound.. too bad the pigs didn't come over to ya...
i just don't understand how anyone can have a recording issue like that and not get it all captured...
Jk, Im worse at getting my hunts recorded properly than DJ is at hitting his targets!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good coyote down and good shot! There's always next time for those hogs!!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice yote down! Gnarly exit wound.. too bad the pigs didn't come over to ya...
i just don't understand how anyone can have a recording issue like that and not get it all captured...
Jk, Im worse at getting my hunts recorded properly than DJ is at hitting his targets!

How hard can it be to remember to hit the button, right? For me, getting the video is a significant part of the fun of the hunt.

Recording just adds another step or two of complexity to the whole hunting business where time, pressure, adrenaline, etc. abhor extra steps. I am hoping that some of the automatic self recording units coming out will put an end to mistakes like mine such that even if you don't get the whole hunt, you get video of the kill and more than 2 seconds of it, LOL.