Got a couple

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Only have photos of one. It was a boar that taped around the chest at a fraction over 41 inches, indicating a weight of roughly 210 Lbs. I broke my leg last year, and it still gives me some trouble, so my hunting is generally limited to when I can get someone to come along to do any heavy lifting and dragging. Luckily for me, my usual hunting buddy has returned from a 2-year stint working out of the country, and the landowner wants to get out a bit more as well. Tuesday evening the landowner and I set out for a pasture where we often see hogs.

We'd been out somewhere between 45 minutes to an hour when a sounder of a dozen hogs wandered out of the trees into our view. The time was about 7:30PM, sundown was scheduled for 8:00PM. we walked up the fence line, which is covered with trees and brush with a roadway behind it, until we came to an opening that gave us a shot at the hogs. They were no more than 80 yards away.

We did the 3-2-1-BANG thing, and each got one. The landowner had told me as we walked into position that he didn't want me shooting the biggest one, knowing that he'd have to drag it in. He chided me about not following his advice, but I told him there were two that were larger that I didn't shoot. He didn't believe me, of course, for good reason. But we managed to collect the hogs. His was maybe 80 Lbs, but he shot it on the run through both hindquarters so we dragged it to the woodline and left it as our donation to the Turkey Buzzard Preservation Society. Actually, on our last trip out we dropped of some carcasses and later saw two bald eagles munching away and enjoying our contribution. Everything in the woods gotta eat …

210_Lb_Boar.jpg

You can see the entry point just behind the shoulder. It was a quartering away shot, and we found the bullet under the shield on the opposite shoulder. It was a Hornady 150 grain SP, a basic cup-and-core bullet. The bullet weighed 129 grains after passing most of the way through the hog.

The bullet was together when recovered, but came apart as I attempted to clean it up a little.
--

Last edited:

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
If I remember right I'm not that far away from you if you want to go and don't have someone to go with you. I'm generally hunt Friday and Saturday nights with my regular hunting partners. During the week not so much right now.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yeah, I hunt in Lee County, about 15 miles north of Giddings. So far, between being occupied by things my wife wants me to do, and my hunting buddy's return to the USA along with the landowner's desire to get out more I've been staying busy. But if those guys start slacking off … o_O I'll give you a shout.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yeah, I hunt in Lee County, about 15 miles north of Giddings. So far, between being occupied by things my wife wants me to do, and my hunting buddy's return to the USA along with the landowner's desire to get out more I've been staying busy. But if those guys start slacking off … o_O I'll give you a shout.
Ok, I hunt mostly from a Gatesville, to Hamilton, to McGregor, to almost GranBury. Lots of smaller properties some big.

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on the hogs. 210 is a good size boar f you are dragging by yourself. Another pair of hands is always good!
Good recovery on the bullet,, I need to make that effort myself also.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Outstanding !! Nice hogs down ! Bullet recoveries are always a big plus, nice to know how they're performing.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice hog!! Hope your leg is OK soon!

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Congrats on the hogs. 210 is a good size boar f you are dragging by yourself. Another pair of hands is always good!
Good recovery on the bullet,, I need to make that effort myself also.
You are so right about the difficulties involved in dragging larger hogs!

So, I cheat …

On one occasion a buddy and I counted down and each shot a 200# boar. At that time we were just dragging them with ropes. I got to my hog, secured the rope around its' head, put my shoulder through a loop and started dragging. I went about two steps, dropped my rope and went over to my buddy. I said "I'll help you drag yours, and then we'll both come back and drag the other one. He agreed.

This is a different hog, but here's the method I use now for hauling hogs out of a field:

Last edited: