Got 1 last night

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Went hunting last night to test out a new 400 acre place. This guy came out about an hr after dark but he was the only one. took about a 100 yard shot on him. 260 lb, Measured just over 46"

DSC01238_zps98f9b3af.jpg

DSC01235_zps411905d9.jpg

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Very nice job Eric. That is a nasty, dirty fellow.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice hog! I bet if you scale weighed him the dirt would add 50 pounds!

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I bet it would too. He was in the edge of a tank. He must have winded us because he started to leave. He got about 10 yards out of the water.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice boar, good shootin' there.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Big hog, nasty looking...where did you get that tape?

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It wS my great grand fathers. He was a cattle rancher. No telling how old it is. It got pretty nasty on the pig so I'm thinking I should put it up and go buy one.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
good hog, nice to see someone got out this weekend and smacked a hog, and a big one

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah I would put it away. Is it a Coburn? They make a hog tape not sure how it compares to our chart.

1. Measure the circumference of the animal, as shown in "distance C" in the illustration. Make sure to measure girth in relation to the location of the pig's heart.
  2. Measure the length of the animal's body, as shown in distance A-B in the illustration. The pig must be standing or restrained in the position shown in the illustration for the calculation to be nearly accurate.
  3. Using the measurements from steps 1 and 2, calculate body weight using the formula HEART GIRTH x HEART GIRTH x BODY LENGTH / 400 = ANIMAL WEIGHT IN POUNDS. For example, if an adult pig has a heart girth equal to 45 inches and a body length equal to 54 inches, the calculation would be (45 x 45 x 54) / 400 = 273 lbs.
  4. If the hog or sow weighs less than 150 lbs., add 7 lbs. to the final answer. For example, if you have a young hog whose total body weight you have calculated to be 125 using the formula above, use the formula 125 + 7 = 132 lbs.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coburn-Company-Hog-Weigh-Tape-60-Inch-22511/24922239

I just went to walmart and bought a cloth tape for $2

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yep that is the Coburn, I never have seen one to see how it compares to our method. Just remember this is for production hogs, they are lean and long, even has differences for different breeds.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice piggie you bagged there. Looks like you got some nice toy to play with also, bennies from working for Ident.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The one I have is for cattle. It has 4 different weights for each measurement classified by lean or fat. I just use it like a cloth tape and take the girth measurement, 30" is 100 lb and every inch above that equals 10 lb. If you look you will see that the the lowest weight at 46" is 265. Weights on that tape are close and it's like that at every measurement I've looked at but I still just use the girth measurement.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wassman, that LWTS belongs to a good friend of mine. I still haven't gotten mine yep but I'm very close. It is an awesome unit.

Last night is was cool out so the thermal was working great. I spent some time looking through it and the W-1000 and I can still say that the W-1000 is the best bang for your buck. With its big lens and optical magnification it competes with scopes twice the price. That being said the LWTS in my opinion is the best thermal on the civilian market.