Getting a hog skull cleaned up

LSB Active Member
I saw some neat pictures of a beautiful hog head/tusks and I think I might like to do that if I find a sizeable beast this summer. I'd rather not boil the stinky mess. What I've done in the past with shark jaws is bury it in the back yard for a week and the ants pick it clean. Anyone have better ways to do it sans mega leg work? Would be nice to take the Sawzall and loppers to him and let mother nature take care of it. Thanks

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I do both. I Have a boiling pot for heads but yes it is a lot of work and the stink can liSkull.jpg nger for a while but....it is quick. I have also buried them...hide and all and left them for a couple months and they come out clean even tho where I live it is sand and it doesn't seem like there is anything in the ground to eat the stuff but apparently there is.
Afterwards instead of bleach which is bad for the bone and teeth, can make them chalky and break down I use a mixture of hair products. 1 part is whitening poder and 1 part whitening cream, use a little paint brush or something, do a coat or 2 and rinse off and they look great.
Here is one I did a couple years ago boiling.

LSB Active Member
awesome thanks. yea down here in fl we have some crazy ant situations it's like a buzz saw a week for a shark head and it's donezo

chthump

LSB Member
I boil ( outside of course ) till its falling apart, pressure spray , very close, extra spraying inside snout, remove teeth if there still in, let air dry, spray paint, then replace teeth and glue teeth

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Just a tip: if you decide to boil the skull, don't actually "boil" it. Use a thermometer and regulate the temperature to between 180-200 degrees. If you bring it to a boil, it will loosen the teeth and some will fall out. By cooking below a boil the teeth will stay put and remain tight. I also find that it doesn't stink as bad at the lower temperature, but still don't try this indoors unless you are single or want to become single.