Game cams that send photos to the phone

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Anyone using a set up like that ? Notifys you when the camera is activated and sends the photo to your phone,

I have looked this up on the net and just about every model has very mixed reviews. Looking for someone with personal experience. Any one here use this set up?

Thx

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
we have a covert UM565

Same set of lithium batteries for almost two years. sends two text photos and two email messages when it takes a picture

we use it as a stand alone independent alarm 'system' the other cameras have vulnerabilities, the coverts have none.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would be interested in asking you some questions about this.

Please give me a call at your convenience, anytime

214-674-6868

Jim

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
is that a smart phone?

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ok, you have to answer the phone

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Brian uses them too. remember things are changing, there are ones out that will not work in a couple of years.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
skypoint sells an extended antenna to help with the signal in marginal areas

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
thanks, going to look at that system tomorrow at Alpine range !!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
awesome

let me know what you think!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
which day of the week would typically work best for you to do a lunch here in Houston?

I wan to host an 'open to everyone' lunch one of these days. ( by host I don't mean pay for it )

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use Covert's Spec Ops Code Black. With any of the cellular game cams, you need a decent cellular (GSM....ATT or TMobile) signal, usually stated at 3 bars or better. You can get booster antennas for them if you don't have good cellular signal and depending who you talk to, either they work well or are pretty useless. I don't use the boosters and can't say.

The one I use allows for some minor changes to setting via texting, but not as much as some of the other brands (that are usually more expensive). I have my images sent to email so that I can view them readily on the home computer, but you can have it set up to just send the text messages to your phone number.

I run Eneloop rechargeable batteries (mostly) in my cams and get about 1200 images on a good run, which is common. Depending on activity, that can run me 3-6 weeks, but as much as about 8. If you have the camera watching a trail that isn't often used, maybe you get dozens of weeks out of a single set of batteries. If you are watching a feeder hit by coons, deer, hogs, turkeys, and squirrels, every day, then maybe 3 weeks. Really cold and really hot weather can affect battery life, so you may or may not want to go with a solar setup. I don't have that. I have my cameras set to take pictures as fast as possible which is a 1 minute cycle that in reality is about a 2 minute cycle most of the time, the delay being the amount of time that it takes to upload the image.

I would avoid buying anything that requires a service policy, because then you are getting hit twice with costs. You still have to pay for the phone service and then you pay for the service policy (e.g., Moultrie has this). There are some advantages to the service policy route, but I do not believe they are worth the expense.

Frank mentioned cams that won't work in the near future. 2G is being phased out and so you want a camera that is 3 or 4G capable. New models should say that they are so that you know, regardless of the brand you get.

There are new versions coming out with some regularity. Places like http://www.trailcampro.com/trailcamerareviews.aspx and http://www.chasingame.com/ can be very helpful. Both places have folks that put cameras through various tests, review features, etc. At least this can help you narrow down your field of choices to units that better fit your parameters.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Jim, what did you find?

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have not resolved this yet. Still looking. A friend of mine uses a cam www.trailcampro.com. and I have seen his pics, and they are real good.

Not in a hurry as the pigs are scarous. Plus I have been hit with a hellm of a case of bronkidus that has really hit hard. Four days now of hacking and coughing.

dehoganator

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
If you need to go with Verizon check out pix controllers raptor.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My current cell is AT&T and it works well from the areas in Milsap that I travel. I would buy a throw away and use it.