GA Hog Hunting Trip

JPK

LSB Active Member
My son and I along with a bud drove down to Albany GA to hunt hogs for a couple of nights. We lost the first night of hunting to torrential rain and tornados. A tornado passed about 300yds from our hotel while we were "hunting." aka, sitting in vans waiting for the torrential rain to let up so the thermals could see further than 100'. The whole section of the city lost power, and didn't get it back while we were there.

The second night was productive. We split up, with my son and I hunting together with guide Hal and my bud, Glenn, hunting with Robbie and Hal's friend and Alaskan halibut fishing guide/charter operator, Max.

We began hunting one large farm/horse/quail hunting operation, with us on one side of a large creek with a washed out bridge and Glenn and the others.
as soon as we got to the field we wanted to scan we saw a boar making his way across. He wasn't feeding, just crossing, and we bailed out of the van for the stalk to catch him. My son grabbed the wrong rifle in the dark, but I walked along for the stalk, which was a good thing since he didn't know how to turn on or nuc mine. Any way, we managed to get within maybe 100yds as he was crossing and my son made a great heart shot. He tried a couple more as the hog was running but the hog piled up pretty quickly.
Johnny's Boar:
cv5EvrE.jpg

As we were making our stalk, Glen and Max opened up close enough that we could here their suppressed fire. They got on a sounder of about 20 and Glenn dropped the sow and five 30lb or so youngsters. Max kept at one and finally connected. They had made a long stalk because the hogs had changed directions, and had between the last shots, when all seven down appeared dead, and getting back with the van for recovery the sow and one youngster made their escapes.
Glenn with the five recovered:
Isyf1E9.jpg

Next opportunity was for my son and I with a pair of boars, and I discovered that my 16yr old son can not count to three. His trigger broke at about 1.8 count... Worse, he missed and so did I though I have an excuse since my boar was hauling ass. My son apologized as he was shooting, and later told me he was taking up slack and trying to time the break. I'll give him a break since he is most used to the trigger in his shotgun, even for a good chunk of our deer hunting, which is in a shotgun only county here in MD. His shotgun trigger, like most, is gritty and heavy. All of out AR's have two stage Giessle triggers that break at 4.5lbs.

Next Glenn had an opportunity on a huge boar making his way along a tree line. Glenn double tapped him before he got into the brush, but they didn't follow him.

I had an opportunity at a loan boar that appeared to be right good size. He sensed we were after him. When we were about 80yds away he turned to look at us as he was slightly turned to the left, but head looking in our direction. I tried to put the bullet just inside his left shoulder. Johnny and Hal said they saw stuff flying out the off side but the hog took off. I tried to get another into him, but if I did he didn't drop. He was tottering going into the brush, but we didn't follow.

Last opportunity was a loan boar for Johnny and I. He took off as we approached and we missed him on the run.

One thing I noticed was that the boars were spooky that night.

Need to get back out soon!

JPK

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hogs down! You drove from Maryland to GA? Congrats to you and your son.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Fun hunt Jp, great write up

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like a fun trip. Glad you guys connected on some good hogs!

JPK

LSB Active Member
Good hogs down! You drove from Maryland to GA? Congrats to you and your son.

Thanks guys.

Yea, we drove down, easiest way to bring back the meat from the sows and little ones. We made it in under 12 hours leaving at 11:00pm and driving straight through. Got to Albany, shopped for subs and drinks for the night, checked in to hotel, took a nap and went hunting that night. After the second night hunting we climbed into the Suburban and drove straight through. Three drivers made it bearable.

JPK

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks guys.

Yea, we drove down, easiest way to bring back the meat from the sows and little ones. We made it in under 12 hours leaving at 11:00pm and driving straight through. Got to Albany, shopped for subs and drinks for the night, checked in to hotel, took a nap and went hunting that night. After the second night hunting we climbed into the Suburban and drove straight through. Three drivers made it bearable.

JPK

Hardcore hog hunters! Glad you all had a safe trip!!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Glag you had a successful trip after driving that far. Sounds like y'all had a good time except for the storm.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Outstanding! Congrats... some fine hogs down.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats! Sounds like y'all stayed busy and were pretty successful even with the storm.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like an interesting and much fun trip!! Nice going guys!! BANG BANG!!

JPK

LSB Active Member
It was a fun trip! Wish we hadn't lost a night to the weather.

If anyone is looking for a great night time thermal hog hunting operation in GA, I can heartily recommend Hal and Hog Swat, near Albany.

We used our own gear, but Hal has suppressed ARs equipped with Armasight scopes and their use is included in the hunt's price.

JPK

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I discovered that my 16yr old son can not count to three. His trigger broke at about 1.8 coun
Me either!! I've been known to shoot before "1". Just ask Dr. Jones.