Found some very good trapping videos on YouTube.

Chuck S

This is very interesting. I want to try trapping here in New Mexico. I was going to build a smaller 4x8 trap I can move with a trailer. This is a lot better method.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Chuck, I'm in Albuquerque, I have portable traps, both made and bought, but use them at my lease in Texas.
As for trapping NM, the game and fish and Dept. of Agriculture guys have been heavy on the trapping and shooting the hogs from helicopter, especially over by Roswell.

As for the Jager Pro stuff, all fine and dandy, but unrealistic unless you are there all the time and have a lot of time to spend on it. Yes, if you want to catch a whole sounder at once, have to get them used to everything, but I still catch multiple hogs, especially younger good eating hogs that aren't so smart, catch them all the time.

Chuck S

I have some really good plans for hog traps that I am going to try one of these days. I finally got my shop built in January so after I get it organized and I get caught up, I'll give it a try. I know of a few places in the SAC mountains to set it up at, but everything is 50 miles away or more. It is hard to check them daily at that distance.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have some really good plans for hog traps that I am going to try one of these days. I finally got my shop built in January so after I get it organized and I get caught up, I'll give it a try. I know of a few places in the SAC mountains to set it up at, but everything is 50 miles away or more. It is hard to check them daily at that distance.
This is the trouble my friend had he was trying to trap and sell the pigs. But after gas, feed, traps it was a big loss. Trapping was to much like work shooting is at least fun!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am a Hog Trapper and can assure you it does cost and not pay usually, well not usually, always may be better. I caught well over a hundred hogs last year. They sell from 20.00 to 70.00 typically. Now I build custom hog traps I designed with an "anti-escape rail" to let deer and turkeys escape but hogs can't get out. I also build live traps for Bobcats, fox and coyotes. Build cookers too....gotta do something with all them critters. Bottom line is, building and selling traps is profitable...trapping hogs...not so much but it iBobCat Trap 007.JPG New Large Traps 007.JPG s as addicting as shooting them. I take all my hogs alive hog-tied. Fun Stuff.

Chuck S

I figured it out once at about $400 in material for a 4foot by 8 foot. I like the top on this one, but I think a bottom would be good too. It looks like it is five foot tall. What size is the angle iron? Is angle strong enough for a pissed off boar? What does it weight to move it around.

One design I have can be taken apart for transport. But it has a mesh top and bottom also and 4 foot sides. It is still heavy but easier for one person to handle.

Last edited:

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
hog traps need to be checked every day, hogs get stressed and will beat themselves up in the trap and they can't handle the heat of the day, so unless the trap is in a shaded area the sun can't get to they might make it two days

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
does anyone make a long roller that would be the back edge of the trailer?

might help ease it on and off

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dan, nice traps. Here in FL you are required to check them daily and if you trap one in the morning and come back in the evening it may be dead. Corral traps w a feeder inside to get large groups at a time works well. It has a water trough and feed in the trap to keep them calmer.