Found a load for my 6.8

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Awhile back I got fed up with looking for the magical,mystical,AA2200 for my 6.8. Had a bunch of H4198 so started working up loads for some 85gr Barnes TSX bullets. The hotter I got them the more accurate they became. Now well under an inch at 100 and over chrono, a little over 3100fps, and extreme spread is only 17fps. This,using my Bison 18" SPCII with 1:11 4 groove.

Your above grouping is GREAT. Definitely MOP. ---pruhdlr

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This is my next task. I need to work something up for my 18" ***. Sadly I can't even pick a scope for it that I like yet. Great shooting

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have brass and bullets. I just need more range time

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have two of the Leupold VX-R scopes. One is a 3-9X40 and the other is a 3-9X50(w/ CDS). The latter was on my 6.8 until I installed thermal(ATN ThOR). Boh of these scopes have the simple duplex reticle(I hate clutter in the scope during the hours of extremely low light). These are great scopes for not much(nowadays)money.

My dedicated night hunting load now is the factory Fed Fusion 115gr. These shoot so well out of my gun that I will not even try to reload them. The Hornady 110gr V-Max shot great out of my gun also ...... as did the 120gr SST's. --- pruhdlr

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's pretty good for factory ammo, just too bad it is a varmint round. Never cared too much for the v-max, although I never tried factory loadings too. With that kind a accuracy a neck shot should be very easy and we all know that pigs hit the dirt when shot in the neck.

As for my bullets of choice is goes 120 SST for pigs and anything else I want dead and 110 Accubond for deer. My brass catcher don't fit my dedicated night gun, so it only eats junk brass (too short, or reaching end of life) and just leave it out there in the woods. I have some factory loaded ammo but it pretty much only sees virgin builds for function testing.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
After using this ammo for a while I tried the 110gr hpbt match ammo from Hornady. It actually shoots a little better. I will be developing a load using 120gr sst's very soon. I posted a pic of a boar that I killed with one of the hpbt rounds, cns shot that stuck his nose in the dirt mid stride. I shot a few Javelina's with the 110gr varmint express and all were drt.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice to hear the VMax is accurate now. A few years back, they were known for minute of dinner plate accuracy... I think it was traced down to actual diameter of the bullets being a little on the skinny side.

My *** LOVES the SSA ProHunters and the 115 HPBT loads... both offer up minute of gnats' southern end accuracy.

ARPBaselineA2.jpg

Last edited:

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Here are the first five rounds out my *** 16". SSA 110 Accubonds Tactical load. Killed two deer last year with it and I love this round.

Picture is sideways also.

6.8 target.jpg