Forestburg, Texas Hunter

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hello! I am Brian. I am a retired zooarchaeologist and stay at home father who stays busy a few times a month in the pursuit of hogs - primarily up by Forestburg in Montague County, north Texas, but also at another spot close to the county seat there (Montague). Despite my best wishes to live there, I don't. I live about an hour away in Denton.

I consider myself to be an okay hunter, terrible tracker, and reasonable shooter. Most of the places I hunt are not very open and so my longest kill is only 170 yards, shortest is about 20, and most are in the 50-100 range. I have only been hunting since 2008.

I don't like feral hogs, but they keep coming in and tearing up my land, so I got involved with hunting them. While shooting big boars is really cool and make for the best photo opportunities, I personally consider sows, especially pregnant sows to be the most ideal targets.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome again! Looking forward to hearing about your hog eradication adventures!

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome lookin forward to seeing more of ya.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome Brian, and you are right, take the sows and that is population control!

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Welcome from CenTex.

I'm like you.
If a sounder comes in, I go after the biggest sows first.
Sometimes if you get a small or new sounder, there are only a couple of educated sows in the group.
If you take them out, the rest of the sounder is somewhat easier to finish off until they get educated...and it don't seem to take them long!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks guys!

Yeah, I have managed to shoot the sow out of single sow sounders where the youngsters were shoats. The shoats appear to say together as a group without mama and I have managed to shoot a couple of them on later visits as well....and then they figure it out.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Glad to have you on the forum. I'm looking forward to reading your stories.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome... lookin' forward to the tales and adventures.