For those who own their own 'small' parcel of land

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by 437, Sep 18, 2017.

1. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Do you hunt deer on your own land? I realize 'small' is relative to perhaps a guy in TX who owns a 'little bit of land'(30k acres) or to a guy in FL who owns 3 acres. Sometime in the near future I am considering cashing in on a crazy housing market, putting FL behind me and buying some land and setting it up for myself and family members in SC. Not sure how much land it would be, but in SC not FL. FL is out of their minds right now as my neighbors 31 year old home just went under contract in 9 days all cash for $331 sq/ft.

How much or rather how little have you successfully set up for bucks? I will be in the Blue Ridge area b/t Greenville, SC and Asheville, SC if I do this so you can have an idea of where I might reside. Thanks for your input.

2. scrmblr1982cj8

scrmblr1982cj8 LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter TEAM OinK

One nice thing about SC is the low cost of living as compared to other parts of the country.

Greenville is growing rapidly and the cost of land is going up quickly. Asheville, NC is quickly out pricing itself from reasonable budgets.

I purchased my property in Florence for approximately $1,600 per acre. It can be found cheaper if you are willing to get further away from cities.

I purchased the property in 2014. I saw several good bucks last year and this year.

3. 437

437 LSB Active Member

$1,600/acre??!!! $1,600 will buy 3 blades of grass and a cup of dirt in Tampa......now I'm really getting closer to SC! I may engage you further on this as my focus narrows. I'm looking at real estate up near my parents I knew I'd be getting more bang for my 'buck', but i'm liking this idea more and more! Plus the beauty of SC is about 100 fold that of Florida.

4. Brian Shaffer

Brian Shaffer Pro Staff Third Coast Thermal SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Unless you are in certain areas with a 10 acre minimum, there is no minimum for how much land you must have.

I have a 45 acre triangle that my neighbor is continually impressed by the bucks and other wildlife that show up on my place. I keep telling that having only 45 acres has nothing to do with it. I am getting transient animals from neighboring properties. The animals don't give a rat's behind about whose parcel of land they are on and how large it is.

So if it is legal, you could set up and be quick successful for bucks on a very small parcel of land, assuming there is land around you.

5. FrankT

FrankT Destin FL LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter TEAM OinK

The key in Florida is to buy adjoining public land with no access near you, all you need is the legal acreage to shoot on and bait them in! Much cheaper land in NW FL by the way.

6. scrmblr1982cj8

scrmblr1982cj8 LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter TEAM OinK

My house went on the market today. It has a 5/3.5 if that would interest you. I almost threw up when we signed the papers to list it but my job there was going backwards.

7. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Aw thanks man that's way too much house for me I will be 2k sq ft or a 2/2 at most anything more is a waste of space for this camper. I'm tired of pumping AC and taxes into empty space!