For those using tree climbers.....with a bad back

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by 437, Mar 11, 2017.

1. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Been meaning to put this up in case there is anyone else here getting older or who has a bad back(hit by drunk driver). I'm not overly tall, but 6'1" and folding myself into a Summitt climber just never worked for more than a hour b/f I was wanting out. I desperately wanted to find an old Tree Lounge, but they are long since gone after the owner died. I stumbled on to a company called Deer Crossing Tree Stands on an archery forum and it's the best find of the year for me. From the moment I leaned back I knew my climber time was now set to whenever I wanted to get out. Heck I took some memorable naps in mine after sliding my rifle in the rest and putting my feet up. And the stability you can achieve with so many ways to lean, bridge is amazing I feel very comfortable stretching my shots to more of what the .308 is capable of now vs other climbers. It's essentially a bench rest shot now. Anyway if this helps even one hunter with an inclination towards back issues the post is time well spent. Here's to sitting as long as ya want! And with facing the tree I was initially concerned I might block out shots, but it's just not an issue I can switch to eithe rside. What I find is the stand provides unreal cover I noticed it on the 2nd sit I had two does walk literally underneath me from head on I could have done a Rambo and jumped out with a knife!

Deer Crossing Tree Stands, Inc.

No this is not me I'm much uglier and dumber looking
    [​IMG]

2. 437

437 LSB Active Member

FYI for the bow hunters here. The model you see above is the GunSlinger and it's tree facing only. They make a ComboHunter that will go forwards or backwards, but I honestly don't think it's necessary and it also doesn't lean back like the GunSlinger in the tree facing config and it essentially sits like a conventional climber Summit etc which defeats the entire purchase intent for me. I can stand up and shoot a bow no problem in this stand. I just put my waist pack around the tree and fasten it like it's around my waist and my bleats, sticks, grunts are all right there in front of me. I think you will dig it if you get one.

Also if you get one make sure and use alum prep paint b/f camo painting or it will flake off. Learned that one the hard way.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  3. Drop Zone

Drop Zone LSB Member LoneStarBoars Supporter

Still use old warren & sweat rifleman climbers still the lightest face the tree but not so comfortable. That sling seat is awesome thanks for the link.

4. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Sure thing. Hey I see you are in NE Florida......these guys are in Jax! Never know might be easy to check them out if your old climber wears on you.

Even the little things matter when in there for hours. Like the head rest? It has just enough retention in the bolt you can set it at whatever your head lean likes and not have to support it. It moves probably 8" up or down and won't fold up when you put your head back on it. It's just pure awesomeness.

5. Cazz

Cazz US Army Veteran, Hunting Addict SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Looks like it would be tough to stay awake...

6. 437

437 LSB Active Member

I will be honest if you put your feet up on the top section it's sketchy staying awake. Best used for waiting on the sun to come up then get the feet DOWN. I tend to put them both on the left side, upper section and cross them and then it's over lights out. I get that text in the AM from my best bud.....'good morning and good night you need a wake up text?'.