florida laws shooting on private property

jglass

LSB Member
I received a call a few weeks ago from a woman in Homosassa Florida complaining about a wild hog rutting up her lawn and ask me if I could help. I told her about all I could do is shoot the hog and she said that would be fine with her.

This neighborhood has homes on 2 1/2 to 15 acre lots. I spoke to a local police officer who said shooting in a subdivision was not aloud. Someone could complain and the police would investigate and I may or may not be in trouble. But I could use a crossbow to kill the hog or use a trap. This rather vague to me.

I checked into this only to find a new Florida law that says back yard shooting is prohibited where homes are one per acre or closer. That's a big difference from 2 1/2 to 15 acres per house. Where I live we cannot shoot inside of a city limit, and within 200 yards from a building, pretty simple.

Where can I check into this?. Should I check with the local sheriff?
Thanks, Jim

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Your local or HOA laws could vary,but I have always understood the law to be . . . . . no shooting within 300ft of an occupied dwelling without the owners permission. Could be that some kind of "public endangerment" thing could come into play also.
It has been my expierance that a LEO is not the person to ask about the law. Usually the prosecuters office or the DA's office can help with these types of questions. --- pruhdlr

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Your local or HOA laws could vary,but I have always understood the law to be . . . . . no shooting within 300ft of an occupied dwelling without the owners permission. Could be that some kind of "public endangerment" thing could come into play also.
It has been my expierance that a LEO is not the person to ask about the law. Usually the prosecuters office or the DA's office can help with these types of questions. --- pruhdlr
Bad advice. He'll still take he ride and then the DA will have to dismiss. I would check with the Game Warden then speak with the officer and inform him of what my plans are. Have him check the facts and advise you. It's not worth getting into trouble even if you are right.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Sooooo . . . whst part of my above is "bad advice" ?? --- pruhdlr

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If it is in city limits that is about the end of that then!!?? BANG BANG!! Trap them and help them out.:)

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Well . . . I guess that we will just have to respectfully disagree then. --- pruhdlr

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would use a subsonic rd w a suppressor, no one will know