FLIR T50 rip off.....

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
image.jpg image.jpg my friend has a flir T50.... The batteries are held in a small plastic case that has become loose and causes the flir to shut off during recoil. I contacted FLIR at shot show and was given an email address to contact a flir representative that would help me with this problem. Today I got an email with an invoice for the part.... It is attatched above with a pic of the $10 part.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
L3 and FLIR are the only real games in town and they know it. Plus they are spoiled with fat filled military contracts so the average Joe means nothing.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Is that unit a 11K unit?? Even so 700 for a plastic battery holder is nuts. And to top it off they want to charge for shipping?? This should be interesting?! BANG BANG!!!

Last edited:

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's like the $900 toilet seats and $1200 hammers the gov was buying... I'll never own a flir. Jus got off phone with armasight and sent my ITAR. 2 weeks ( hopefully) from having Apollo pro 640, Q14 640 and threw in a PVS14 3rd gen to get up to speed. Somewhere right now there's some hogs that have a date w/ death in the near future.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Here's the deal, I like you so I will whittle you one for a mere 596.00 giving you a savings of 100.00. What do you think?

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
L3 and FLIR are the only real games in town and they know it. Plus they are spoiled with fat filled military contracts so the average Joe means nothing.
Don't appreciate being called "average".... My mom said I was special.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
That's like the $900 toilet seats and $1200 hammers the gov was buying... I'll never own a flir. Jus got off phone with armasight and sent my ITAR. 2 weeks ( hopefully) from having Apollo pro 640, Q14 640 and threw in a PVS14 3rd gen to get up to speed. Somewhere right now there's some hogs that have a date w/ death in the near future.

Hum, don't all the Armasight Thermal devices ... well Apollo and Q14 ... have FLIR cores ????

If you really never want to own a FLIR ... you'll have to look at IR-Defense (BAE cores) or otherwise, right? Am I missing something?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Rep said the techs have one they use and will give it to me for half price+shipping
I would look closely at that part and dissect it slowly if possible. Plastic and contacts put in their respective places with a spring perhaps. Can't imagine it couldn't be repaired with epoxy etc... I feel for you brother.

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hum, don't all the Armasight Thermal devices ... well Apollo and Q14 ... have FLIR cores ????

If you really never want to own a FLIR ... you'll have to look at IR-Defense (BAE cores) or otherwise, right? Am I missing something?
Your nit picking me!!!

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I see, she double checked in SAP ... that explains it!!!! SAP (German Business Software - which I've (had) to use over the past 18 years in the companies I've worked) is VERY EXPENSIVE ... no wonder they have to charge $700 for a $10 item! :D

So what about some bubblegum or tin foil? Maybe you can come up with an "ersatz" solution to keep the existing battery pack working !?

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
FLIR cores are in a lot of thermals, I guess they can produce them cheaper than battery packs. Lol. I've numerous people say "don't buy L3 products because their service sucks. Instead buy FLIR because their service is awesome". I'd say that much for a little battery holder is 180* from good CS.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am guess you can find that battery holder on ebay in China somewhere after all that is probable where they found it for $1.25. I would be all over the internet, every forum, every facebook page every competing company passing on the thievery they are trying. Then I would be searching the china companies for the replacement.

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
T
I am guess you can find that battery holder on ebay in China somewhere after all that is probable where they found it for $1.25. I would be all over the internet, every forum, every facebook page every competing company passing on the thievery they are trying. Then I would be searching the china companies for the replacement.
taking it to a friend w/3d printer.... Gonna put "FLIR SUCKS" on the tail of my Lear jet

Daryl licht

LoneStarBoars Supporter
The battery case works if it is shimmed with a piece of cardboard the thickness of a cereal box lid...$11,000.00 and change and have to use a cardboard shim. Our poor troops. Although they probably have spare battery holders at $696.00 a pop. Having spent a lifetime in the military and government I thought I'd seen it all. Stoners weapon system turned to crap because using the wrong powder, troops wasted at desert one because pilots couldn't fly while maintaining radio silence, the shuttle exploding because of the low bidder providing o rings but in my wildest dreams I never thought any company in the United states would mark up a $2 part $694.00. Oh wait I forgot about the drug companies...there really is no shame. All the while FLIR is waving the American flag.