Flir pts233

Zhelton

Any tips, tricks or do's and donts with it. I have one headed my way soon and have scoured the net and youtube for info but real world experience is always welcomed.

bar-d

Head Wrangler, Chief Manure Manager: Bar-D Cattle
I have one and it does what I need it to do. Don't expect it to perform like a 5K thermal because it won't. However, if you are like me and spent what you could scrape up and know what the limits of the PTS233 are, I think you will be satisfied. Be sure and check to see if it is running the latest firmware. Do yourself a BIG favor and purchase an external power source. Mine goes through CR123 batteries like a fat kid through a bag of Skittles. This was the first coyote I took with mine. The first shot was a double lung at about 60 yds. I shot high the second shot but dumped him with the third right before he went through the fence at 100 yds.

Zhelton

Yes i remember when you posted that video, nice job on the coyote. I am going to get an external battery pack like you suggested off amazon. Thanks for the reply. I also took a screenshot of other people that have the latest firmware so when it gets here i can check.

rustybucket

We run these.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Upgrad...0_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=anker+portable+charger

like a fat kid through a bag of Skittles.
I resemble that remark.

Tips:
Don't look at the sun with it.
Don't scratch the germanium lens.
You can use your thumb to change the sensitivity of the view like if you look a the edge of a bank and the water is too warm and it blows out your view. Slowly put a finger or thumb in front of the scope to be able to see the bank and cut the over power of the warm water. Its faster than changing settings if your just scanning. Works good for looking up into trees as well.

Last edited:

Zhelton

How long does the round one last that you mount with the 30mm ring? Might be an easier option, as it would be outta the way

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have the same "candy bar" Anker battery that I use with my Zeus 336. It easily will run the scope non stop all night. They do take forever to charge back up though so I picked up a second as backup. The run time does seem to diminish as it ages. So instead of a a couple nights, Im down to 1.5 nights. Still loads cheaper than CR123's.

Thanks for that round battery link! Looks like a flashlight pic mount would hold it perfectly mounted to the scope.

bar-d

Head Wrangler, Chief Manure Manager: Bar-D Cattle
How long does the round one last that you mount with the 30mm ring? Might be an easier option, as it would be outta the way
Full charge ought to last all night. The new firmware recently downloaded extended the standby feature time in the scope. I haven't run the battery very long since the upgrade but figure it won't do anything but help.

Zhelton

Thanks for the info.. will certainly order a couple of those.. hopefully before long ill have some videos to share

rustybucket

I've never had a single problem with mine. Support from flir with the update has been excellent as well. Friend of mine bought 6 of them for a group buy and got good deal too. Him and me got some of the very first that were released and haven't had a problem yet. Karl and Brian @ flir are excellent with customer support as far as I'm concerned. As soon as something unwanted happens with them people cuss out the manufacturers. I was just fixing to buy a pulsar trail xq38 when my buddy called me and I got the pts233 instead. I absolutely love mine, ESPECIALLY for the money! I own a photon 4.6xt and yes my experience with sellmark CS has been excellent as well when I needed them. I'm glad I got the pts cause it has a wide fov and its all I need for 200yds and under. Plus its light and takes up little room.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I bought it after watching your review on it. What changed?
My review said it was the best in the price range. I have since removed that video. FLIR is one of if not the largest donators to anti hunting groups in the world. Their customer service is shotty at best, and for just a little more you can get a apex xq38 which is a far superior optic. I have not completely givin up on flir like ATN and still sell FLIR in my store in hopes someday they will get new management and fix the products. But for now with their political leanings, mediocre products, and mediocre support I see no reason for anyone to purchase them over Pulsar or Trijicon.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've never had a single problem with mine. Support from flir with the update has been excellent as well. Friend of mine bought 6 of them for a group buy and got good deal too. Him and me got some of the very first that were released and haven't had a problem yet. Karl and Brian @ flir are excellent with customer support as far as I'm concerned. As soon as something unwanted happens with them people cuss out the manufacturers. I was just fixing to buy a pulsar trail xq38 when my buddy called me and I got the pts233 instead. I absolutely love mine, ESPECIALLY for the money! I own a photon 4.6xt and yes my experience with sellmark CS has been excellent as well when I needed them. I'm glad I got the pts cause it has a wide fov and its all I need for 200yds and under. Plus its light and takes up little room.
Xq38 is superior for just a couple hundred more. Just for the focus alone.

rustybucket

My review said it was the best in the price range. I have since removed that video. FLIR is one of if not the largest donators to anti hunting groups in the world. Their customer service is shotty at best, and for just a little more you can get a apex xq38 which is a far superior optic. I have not completely givin up on flir like ATN and still sell FLIR in my store in hopes someday they will get new management and fix the products. But for now with their political leanings, mediocre products, and mediocre support I see no reason for anyone to purchase them over Pulsar or Trijicon.
I remember what you said hinting to that in a particular video about flir.
Thats sucks it really does. Hopefully they will pull their head out of their orifice. Just gonna have to sit back, watch and wait to see how they become.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This was at my most upper price limit though. I couldn't afford a penny more.
You are talking a $300 difference I would have saved longer but that is me. Long as you are happy with it that is all that really matters.