Flir Predator vs Pulsar XD38A

West D

LSB Member
what are the difference in image quality ? this would be the new Tau 2 in the Flir . was thinking about getting one for a scanner.

mdmorrow

Night Vision Outfitters
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The predator would be ok to scan with since it's fairly compact. A better option would be the new Pulsar RXQ30V. Much more compact. The Apex XD38 series has been replaced by the Apex XQ38. Same housing but with a new mount system, new OLED display and new 17 micron sensor. Image wise the new Apex will beat the Predator by a good margin. Particularly, since the Predator has a fixed focus and the Apex has an adjustable focus.

West D

LSB Member
So the RQX 30V is a dedicated rifle scope also? we just a Pulsar rep come out and do a demo night at friends shooting range . I looked at core but not sure on the model . He had it set up a just a viewer and the contrast was way to bright and was blinding everyone out there . It was dark and I did not know how to adjust it and the tech did not either . It then started raining and that did not make it any better . So I was hoping to get better conditions so I could really see how it could perform . I did get to look at the Trail 640 and it was ok but needed adjusting also. I was not impressed with image quality compared to my IR Hunter Mk2 35mm. I Thought it would better . I know with the conditions it was not really a fair comparison .

mdmorrow

Night Vision Outfitters
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They tend to have a good image once they're adjusted correctly. They're not going to be as good as your MK2, especially the 384 core units. But they're good for what they are. They're also significantly cheaper than a MK2/3/Reap as well.

darrohn801

LSB Member
I have a reap and the trail xp50 adjusted properly was probably 75% as good an image.
I have a reap and am interested in the Pulsar as well just for the ease of recording. So tempting!

Anyone heard anything about when the FLIR Q14B is coming out?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would do the new pulsar as stated above, good image adjustable focus at a great price. The predator just does not do it for me.

Pulsar has been the best bang for the buck for a while.

mdmorrow

Night Vision Outfitters
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a reap and am interested in the Pulsar as well just for the ease of recording. So tempting!

Anyone heard anything about when the FLIR Q14B is coming out?

Talked to my FLIR rep on Friday and it sounds like its a ways out. Be wary of companies "pre-selling" it because according to him, they're even changing the name of it. Doesn't have a firm eta or even dealer pricing yet. I'd look for it maybe sometime this summer but more likely fall or even next year. I want one, cause they look awesome, but I'm not holding my breath.

The ease of recording and the good factory support from Pulsar is a home run. Only downside is the wait time currently. If you want one, best bet is get an order in with us and get on the list. There's about 60 shipped so far and backorders are probably 3-400 companywide from Pulsar. Last I heard anyway and that info could be well out of date.

Also, on new Pulsars, the RXQ30V I mentioned does have a fixed focus but it also has a 30mm and an OLED display, which are both improvements over the Predator though and the price is significantly less.