First time thermal owner

ExCavTanker

So, after much research and video watching my Dad and I jumped on the thermal train. Based on the terrain and distances we'll typically hunt, we chose the Armasight Zeus 640 2-16x42 (30hz). I used to think our suppressors were the crack of the firearms world (and they are) but thermal is right there with them. Using handwarmers I had the rifle sighted in at 100yds, seeing the rifle still shoot 1/2" groups with the thermal was a very pleasant surprise, but shooting 1 " at 200 in pitch black, priceless.

After the shooting was done and the rifle put away, I took the thermal and walked to the end of my Dad's driveway and started to scan the field across the road, sweeping from right to left. I had barely started when suddenly five deer appeard in the thermal (based on their location I know that spot was about 150yds away) and even after watching all the great hunting vids I was BLOWN AWAY!

I am soooo glad we went with the 640 over a 320 chip, and that our first foray into night hunting beyond red lights was to go straight to thermal. Yes, logitics will be a challenge during actual hunting using it as a monocular then using the QD to attach to the rifle but we'll have to make do until we add a thermal moncular to the stable.

Now for the negative, these things eat CR123 batteries faster than a fat kid on a Snickers bar. As a test I left the unit on the whole time and with the temps in the mid sixties we got just under two hours of run time, at winter hunting temps of 10-20 deg, the Anker battery pack with the UNV custom cable will be madatory.

I'd like to thank Todd for his video on how to set up an Armasight Zues, it's that kind of info that the owner's manual doesn't even address and wringing every last bit of performance out of these pricy items is what's it all about. To be honest in case the owners of Armasight are reading this, Todd basically sold us the Armasight scope with his awesome hunting vids and set up info as well as detailing the new firmware which performed amazingly on the whitetail deer.

For you thermal pros this experience is old hat but for those of you on the fence about thermal, if it's legal to hunt with in your State, the juice is DEFINITELY worth the squeeze.

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good for you man. That kick ass feeling is always kinda there no matter how many times you've fired up that scope. Start saving for a scanner now bc you'll need it.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the forum and the world of thermal awesomeness.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome! and you certainly got the best in an Armasight...well done!

ExCavTanker

Thanks all, I appreciate the feedback and forum welcome. Yes, a thermal scanner is definitely in order or MAYBE a Predator for a scanner and a backup scope since even a Pulsar with the OLED screen (needed for cold weather) is in that ballpark for pricing. More research is in order for sure and any input from you guys that have been there done that would be appreciated.

My Dad is in his seventies and I did forget to mention in my first post, but watching his reaction after looking through the thermal scope sure made me feel good with his excitement, as some of my best memories have been while predator hunting with him at home and on trips to Texas (AKA Heaven on Earth;) and I can't wait to call one in for him to drop the hammer on with the thermal. I'm hopeful that this scope gives us that edge that we've needed on these tough Eastern coyotes, and I'm confident it will.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the fray... (where have I seen that username before?) ;) Congrats on trigger time with dad. Some of my best memories are just that very thing.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
A external battery packs is definitely worth the money. I have a pair of the Armasight battery packs. Both of mine came with a pinkish color 18650 batteries . With those batteries my Zeus 640 3-24x75mm 30hz scopes would shut down under recoil. However once I switched to the Tenergy version of the 18650 for my external battery packs I've never had that problem. The pink ones are physically shorter than the Tenergys.

znztivguy

LSB Member
Congrats!!! Batteries are a definite problem... My gear just eats them up...so I'm looking for older stuff using regular AA's

ExCavTanker

I just returned to this thread and found that my last post is waiting for moderator approval, now I don't know if it was because of a link I used to the battery pack (to the mfg not a retailer) or what but I was referencing an Anker PowerCore 10000 rechargeable battery pack and using a custom combo video/power cable from UNV (unless someone knows of another one that has USB battery pack connectors).

JPK

LSB Active Member
Hmm, not sure. ******** (Big Red Dog) is a sponsor here and sells gear offered by UNV, so I wouldn't think it's that. And I have linked some UNV gear here too, while referencing ******** as a dealer for UNV gear.

Glad you like the Armasight. And the guys are right - you needs a spotter, if for no other reason than to prevent the, "Hey let me look..., oK, now give it back so I can see" exchange that is inevitable when two guys try to share one thermal.

The Pulsar sights are LARGE and they don't make handy spotters. (and don't come with QD mounts, though UNV offers a QD mount for them.) with the UNV QD mount they could do double duty as spotter and scope, but there are better choices, IMO.

Btw, I use a UNV battery pack for my IRD Hunter MK II and love it.

JPK

ExCavTanker

Hmm, not sure. ******** (Big Red Dog) is a sponsor here and sells gear offered by UNV, so I wouldn't think it's that. And I have linked some UNV gear here too, while referencing ******** as a dealer for UNV gear.

Glad you like the Armasight. And the guys are right - you needs a spotter, if for no other reason than to prevent the, "Hey let me look..., oK, now give it back so I can see" exchange that is inevitable when two guys try to share one thermal.

The Pulsar sights are LARGE and they don't make handy spotters. (and don't come with QD mounts, though UNV offers a QD mount for them.) with the UNV QD mount they could do double duty as spotter and scope, but there are better choices, IMO.

Btw, I use a UNV battery pack for my IRD Hunter MK II and love it.

JPK

Haha, I know what you mean on the back and forth because once say a coyote is spotted and on the rifle it goes I'll have to rely on the shooter (AKD Dad) to narrate as to what it's doing in response to the electronic call or lip squeaks etc... My only other option is to get the recorder with a screen and use that to remotely watch the coyote, while it would definitely work the issue I could see is light discipline which would require some made up cover for the screen.

As I stated earlier, I absolutely know another thermal device will need to be acquired. You know the justification drill we go through, while a Pulsar XD19 'would' work maybe I want a 640 scanner for not only detection but also better ID, then for just a bit more I could get a Predator as that could also be used as a backup scope, then just a bit more I could get a 336 Zeus and on it goes. What say the experts?

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Don't forget a PVS-14 to navigate in the dark too. LOL