First Time Buyer Need Help

BamaWoods

Hey y’all,
Lookin to buy my first thermal and am looking to spend about 3000. Hunt pigs and coyotes in Alabama on green fields, woods, and some pasture land. Any recommendations?
Thanks

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There is more than enough info on this site. Between videos and on hands info you should be able to make an informative decision. All of this has been discussed as recently as last week, so do some searching and lots of reading and watch the videos where he compares thermals side by side by TxLawman. Look at Armasight and Pulsar. BANG BANG!!

Last edited:

Msnix123

LSB Member
Hey y’all,
Lookin to buy my first thermal and am looking to spend about 3000. Hunt pigs and coyotes in Alabama on green fields, woods, and some pasture land. Any recommendations?
Thanks

I had a similar budget and also hunt hogs in Bama. I went with the Pulsar Trail XQ38 and have been very impressed. The on board recording feature has been a lot of fun to use.

ScottJ

LSB Member
Very happy with my Pulsar XD38a. Only bad thing about it is the side knob which likes to get bumped and turned accidentally. I removed that knob, put a little piece of vacuum hose on the metal stem, and cut out the center of a gatorade cap to make a ring to go around it as a shield, glued in place. It's an older model now and I think that's no longer the case with the new ones... the knob that gets bumped. Looked through my neighbor's budget RXQ30V and was rather impressed for the $1800 price.

LSB Active Member
Very happy with my Pulsar XD38a. Only bad thing about it is the side knob which likes to get bumped and turned accidentally. I removed that knob, put a little piece of vacuum hose on the metal stem, and cut out the center of a gatorade cap to make a ring to go around it as a shield, glued in place. It's an older model now and I think that's no longer the case with the new ones... the knob that gets bumped. Looked through my neighbor's budget RXQ30V and was rather impressed for the $1800 price.

I think I'm one of the few RXQ fans here simply b/c recording isn't a big deal to me. If you can live w/o it I think you will be thrilled with it had mine since May. We shoot quite close distances here 75 yards or less so tons of mag isn't a big deal to us. If it 'fits' your needs it's something to look at for sure.

LSB Active Member
Pulsar is pretty much the value for dollar these days. Plus great customer service.

Get off the internet and get your butt on the plane. Gonne be in the high 30's with winds out of NNW so bring your cold gear .