First outing with Pulsar Trail XP50

So I was out this past Friday at my buddy's ranch when we spotted a sounder about 350 yards out. We were able to close the distance down to 150 yards but no closer due to the dense population of cattle with nursing calfs. Best I could tell the sounder was comprised of 3 good size sows and at least 20 piglets of various sizes. Had my Trail XP mounted to my 10.5 inch 7.62x39 upper w/ Saker mounted running Tula 8M3 Effect loads. Waiting to get the bugs out of the video as it runs too fast to watch on my phone but based on the meat pops I got 3 at distance with the first volley as they ran to the fence and then into the tree line. Anyone else have this problem when downloading the video files to their android? Waited about 5 minute to inspect with the cows sounding the alarm. One sow lay wounded and with 3 piglets hovering close by. I was able finish them off at close range. Later I recovered a shout about 40 yards away. The next day the buzzards were circling the downed sow but also circling about 150 yards off into the tree line but the brush was too thick for me to attempt a search and recovery. Total recovered was 5. Hopefully this will be the first of many successful hunts!
Pigs 1.jpg

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That sounds like some sort of glitch with the video, mine does that on occasion. I think I’ve either narrowed it down to battery life dropping to a certain low level before completely going dead like 20% or less (just making up a percentage, I don’t know how low it may be)

Or powering off the unit while video recording is still under progress.

Maybe someone else knows the answer why this happens from time to time.

Anyway, nice job with your new scope.

That sounds like some sort of glitch with the video, mine does that on occasion. I think I’ve either narrowed it down to battery life dropping to a certain low level before completely going dead like 20% or less (just making up a percentage, I don’t know how low it may be)

Or powering off the unit while video recording is still under progress.

Maybe someone else knows the answer why this happens from time to time.

Anyway, nice job with your new scope.
Thanks for the intel. In this case the battery had at least 50% charge remaining. When viewing on my phone it was like watching old reruns of Benny Hill in fast forward. Also I reached out to Sightmark as the PiP and the main reticle stopped zooming independently of each other, anyone else have this happen? The guy in tech support with Sightmark had never heard of it and is reaching out to Pulsar directly. Besides these glitches I love the scope!

LSB Active Member
Thanks, I know you love the x39.
For the kind of hunting demands we have on our property it really is the perfect blend of cost and knock down I wouldn't change a thing....except for my Q to get here sooner. Last night was the longest 'runner' I've had I lunged a sow on a full mad dash across a field that dang full pink moon busted us a lot last night. Was my first time leading a target off the body put it about a what I thought was maybe just off the snout and bang flop! She was in full sprint!IMG_6246.JPG

LSB Active Member
I forgot to ask....8M3 is HP right? I bought 2 boxes of the wolf hp and it was a little more accurate, but didn't hunt with it. How many hogs have you hit with those HPs? Apparently you are liking them! I'll be set for a bit more I got this last batch of SP's 1000 for $192 to my door, but may try some HP's when these are gone.

I forgot to ask....8M3 is HP right? I bought 2 boxes of the wolf hp and it was a little more accurate, but didn't hunt with it. How many hogs have you hit with those HPs? Apparently you are liking them! I'll be set for a bit more I got this last batch of SP's 1000 for $192 to my door, but may try some HP's when these are gone.
Yep they are hollow points. See the video below. I have shot around 12. Certain x39 HP's don't open up as they are only hp in order to get by no fmj rules that some ranges have. The 8M3 blows up inside soft tissue.

Reactions: 437

LSB Active Member
Porkalypse Now good grief I'm grabbing some of that HP pronto thanks for the vid I love this guy.....'buy it deep and stack it cheap' + 'it's legit'.

The only thing that will say about the Tula is that these seem to have harder primers than the Wolf Polyformance HP's that I have been running. Not a problem though when running a trigger with more hammer energy like a Hiperfire 24 series.

LSB Active Member
I have run a few hundred rounds of this without any issues...ya think its safe to assume Tula would use the same primers across the entire family of X39?image.jpeg

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Off to go good start with the right gear! Happy hunting!

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Livestock on site raises the degree of difficulty and risk significantly - nothing gets easier.
(Except maybe the landowner saying “No” to other potential hunters).

Patience and willingness to make a tough stalk paid off...

LSB Active Member
Yep they are hollow points. See the video below. I have shot around 12. Certain x39 HP's don't open up as they are only hp in order to get by no fmj rules that some ranges have. The 8M3 blows up inside soft tissue.
FYI I picked up 100 of the Wolf HP's and used on about a dozen hogs the last couple of weeks of May. I am not including the first hog which is always head/neck doesn't really matter what you use, but the body shots on runners none went more than 30 yards so good enough for me. Picked up 1000 for $210 to my door. Now that it's so dang hot out I'm really appreciating the 5 1/2 lbs lighter rifle vs my 308AR. Rifle runs like a dream got about 1200 rounds through it just an ace performer.

Last edited:

Mel Glass

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have killed about 25 with the 8M3 ammo. Has worked very well. Have shot 5 more that I did not recover but in the areas I hunt if they get off the main trail that we shoot them on you probably will not find them.