First Kill with TAC 30

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
After over 6 months of learning, testing, developing, re-learning and practicing, I finally feel confident enough in my TAC30/30 Herrett to take it out in the field to try to find a willing victim to test it on. While in MS on a turkey hunt, I took time to do some hog hunting and got lucky on the second night. My buddy had pictures of a large boar that was making regular appearances so I was pretty sure I had a good chance to get a shot on something. The first night was a bust with nothing but deer and raccoons showing up by the time I gave up and got some sleep. The second night was a different story as this hog showed up shortly after dark. After the shot, I decided to get a second round into the hog since it wasn’t giving up as quick as I would like and the area I’m hunting in is very tight with swamps all the way around me. My buddy wanted to butcher this hog for sausage too, so I didn’t want to take a chance on it getting a second wind and leaving the area. As it turns out, my rifle short stroked and didn’t pick up a second round. You can hear the click as I pulled the trigger. After charging another round and lining up on it again, it was obvious a second shot wasn’t needed so I held my fire rather than damage more meat. It taped out at 215#. Not as big as it looked when it was tossing that barrel around like it was a play toy. I’m shooting Nosler Ballistic Tips 125gr at 2725 fps with Starline “basic” brass formed for the TAC30.

After shooting the hog, I just assumed it was the big boar that we had on camera, and even when measuring it I thought it was a boar, but didn’t verify. It wasn’t until we started to gut the hog and milk poured out that we said WTF. It turned out to be a sow with milk, but no sign of nursing piglets or on-board fetuses. A couple days later, my buddy called me and said when he was butchering the hog, he found what appeared to be under-developed testicles under the skin. It seems like I have a knack for shooting sexually screwed up animals this year.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I LOVE the Nosler BT 110 gr in my .30-06 Remington 700. Good accuracy, and dropped my mule deer in his tracks at 165 yd last fall. First time I'd used that pill, and am sold on its performance.

Congrats on a hog which is confused on which bathroom to use. Had it been eating Tide soap packs too?

What's the gobbler report from MS?

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
lol. My buddy actually said I killed a liberal hog. Gobbler report is grim. I screwed up my first chance by setting up next to a thick bush on my right and forgot my decoys in the truck. I had a gobbler come out of the woods from in front of me out of range and charge all the way to my right. Mind you, my gun was pointing left where I expected him to come out. He and I talked for a while and I was able to talk him into coming check out the chick in the bushes. I expected him to swing out in front of me and I would have a chance to get the gun up. Instead, he came straight at me on the other side of the bush to within 15 yds. I tried my best to move slowly to get the gun turned, but he saw movement anyway and decided to do a 180 and get out of dodge. I only got 1 other to respond but couldn’t talk him into coming out to play and there was no way to sneak into range without being busted. So, no turkey, but enough action to make it a successful trip anyway.

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice confused hog! That’s pretty cool. Glad you got to break in the new rifle. That’s always fun. Good shooting. I’ve been seeing some turkey on my game cameras, both Toms and hens but man they hit the corn then they are gone. Sure don’t stick around.

diggler1833

LSB Active Member
Good kill! Seems like the TAC30 is going to do well with dropping hogs quickly.

Regardless of the screwed up sec, a dead nuisance is a dead nuisance.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Some action (even w/o results) is "more gooder" than just listening to crickets. And, at least you didn't get skunked altogether.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nicely done! 30 Herrett? I am surprised you don't have Homebrewer's attention!
I do! He has been encouraging me with this round and he has helped when I got stumped with initial problems.