First Impressions: Armasight Predator

Discussion in 'THIRD COAST THERMAL' started by FrankT, Aug 17, 2015.

1. FrankT

FrankT Destin FL LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter

I was sent the Armasight Predator to test/demo and review by www.Thirdcoastthermal.com, Thanks Cliff for letting me see this new entry level Thermal Weapons Sight from Armasight.

Fed Ex showed up at the door with a compact well packaged box, upon opening the outer box there was the Armasight packaging, inside their box was the canvas case w the Predator inside wrapped in bubble wrap..So you should be receiving your new sight in excellent condition. The mount is already on the scope, tighten to verify and the QD mount is very secure on the rifle.

Cable, extra battery carriage, remote, mount, front lens cover, manual and batteries are all well packaged and all included. This is one compact and light Thermal Weapons Sight, easy to use and operate.

Upon testing and getting used to the controls the Predator is built like a tank but is as compact and light, easy to use as you would expect for Armasight quality. The fixed focus at 20M -infinity works well from 50yds on out but still shootable at 30yds for close up shots. Once you have the settings set to your vision and preference the Predator remembers them and you can change the brightness, reticle and zoom on the fly.

To sight in the Predator(which I did for 50yds) mount on the rifle (My choice is the 6.8SPC) to get the proper fit for the eyecup. Shoot for the bull from a solid repeatable rest at 50 yds and wherever the bullet hits, holding the rifle in the same position as the first shot move the reticle to the bullet hole. Shoot again and verify your adjustments. All settings remain when turning on/off and changing batteries.

For us hunters that hunt at ranges from 40yds to 200 yds this is an affordable alternative to the higher priced & better spec’d units, you will not feel inadequate at all. Whether you are blind hunting, riding around in your UTV or on a spot and stalk hunt Scanning out to 400 yds and shooting up to 200 yds I believe the quality and performance of the Armasight Predator is what you are looking for!

FrankT , Northwest Fl
    www.thirdcoastthermal.com

SPECIFICATION
    SYSTEM DATA:
    Refresh Rate
    60 Hz
    Magnification (NTSC/PAL) 1.6x
    Objective Lens Type Germanium
    Type of Focal Plane Array FLIR Tau 2
    Pixel Array Format 336×256
    Pixel Size 17 µm
    Display Type LED VGA 060
    Pixel Display Format 640×480
    Display Brightness Discretely Adjustable to 8 Levels
    Turn-on Time, max 3 sec
    Digital Zoom 1x, 2x, and 4x
    Image Palettes White Hot, Black Hot, Fusion, Rainbow, Globow, Ironbow 1, Ironbow 2, Sepia, Color 1, Color 2, Ice-Fire, Rain, and OEM Custom
    Reticle Type 6-Pattern Digitally Controlled: Dot 4 MOA, Line Dot, Cross Center Dot, Cross, Crosshair, and “No Reticle”
    Reticle Color Black, White, Red, Cyan
    Boresight Adjustment Digitally Controlled
    Analog Input and Output Format (resolution) PAL/ NTSC (640×480 pixels)
    Video Recording Optional Digital Video Recorder with SD card slot
    Remote Control Wireless
    SPECIAL USER-ADJUSTABLE IMAGING TOOLS:
    Active Contrast Enhancement (ACE) - “CONTRAST”
    Yes
    Second Generation Digital Detail Enhancement (DDE) – “SHARPNESS” Yes
    Smart Scene Optimization (SSO) – “SMART SCENE” Yes
    Information Based Histogram Equalization (IBHEQ) – “SKY/SEA” Yes
    User Controlled Manual Non Uniformity Correction/Flat-Field Correction (UCMNUC/FFC) Yes
    Silent Shutterless NUC ™ (SSN) Yes
    OPTICAL DATA:
    Objective Focal Length
    25 mm
    Objective F-number 1:1
    Field of View (ang.) 13° / 10°
    Exit Pupil Diameter 10 mm
    Eye Relief 45 mm
    Focus Method Manual
    Focusing Range 3m to inf.
    Diopter Adjustment Manual
    Diopter Adjustment Range ±5 diopter
    BORESIGHT DATA:
    Windage/Elevation Boresight Increment
    1,2 MOA
    0.35 mils
    1,3in/100yd
    3,5cm/100m
    Windage Adjustment Range (NTSC/ PAL) ±96MOA
    Elevation Adjustment Range (NTSC/ PAL) ±72MOA
    ELECTRICAL DATA:
    Battery
    Two CR123A 3V Lithium batteries or CR123 type rechargeable batteries with voltage from 3.0V to 3.7V (2)
    Current Consumption, maximum 450 mA
    Battery Life at 20 °C (68 °F) up to 3 hr (optional up to 10 hrs)
    Extended Battery Pack Two 18650 rechargeable batteries (3.7V) or four CR123 type rechargeable batteries with voltage 3.7V max or four standard CR123A 3V Lithium batteries (operational time up to 7 hr)
    External Power Supply 6 VDC/ 600mА
    ENVIRONMENTAL DATA:
    Operating Temperature
    -40 to +50°C (-40 to +122°F)
    Storage Temperature -50 to +70°C (-58 to +158°F)
    Recoil Resistance 700 g
    Environmental Rating Water and Fog Resistant
    MECHANICAL DATA:
    Weapon Mount Type
    Picatinny, MIL STD 1913, and Weaver Rails
    Height of the Scope Axis 42 mm (1.65 in)
    Overall Dimensions 194×68×78 mm (7.6”×2.7”×3.1“)
    Weight (w/o Batteries) 0.63 kg (1.4 lbs)
    WARRANTY DATA:
    Warranty
    3 years
    Warranty on FLIR detector 10 years

2. rgilbert

rgilbert LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB

Thanks Frank. Great write up on the unit. Now go kill something with it.

3. FrankT

FrankT Destin FL LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter

Thanks, if the rain will ever stop I just might, so many people wanting to look thru it here as we are behind the TX curve on people knowledge in Thermal. Hard to wave it around on a rifle to let folks look in the middle of towns or the road! Those w Armasight experience does the QD mount return to zero taking the unit off and on a rifle?

4. rgilbert

rgilbert LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB

I think Delta said to change the mount out to a Larue. I have never taken mine off since I sighted it in. I need to check it again to see if it's still holding zero.

5. FrankT

Thanks Rick...

6. sjb67

sjb67 Mineral Wells, Texas LoneStarBoars Supporter

i am really curious on this. that is a very good price. be interesting to see its strengths and weaknesses.

7. Arnold Galvan

Arnold Galvan Mckinney, Texas

Thanks Frank

8. FrankT

Sjb67, Well personally for me in my style of hunting the Predator is more than adequate. Can I ID and Target 40-200yds? yes Can I scan and see things moving and possibly ID further than 200 yds? yes Do I like the light and compact size? yes

Now saying that would a 640 unit be better? yes Would a larger lens be better? yes Would I get better video with a more expensive unit? yes Do I personally need to upgrade to the next level to be able to hunt and even make videos? NO I do not require the best videos and don't do this as a business, my typical range is 40-125yds 90% of the time. For a personal hunting experience and a budget minded person the Predator is certainly adequate for my goals.

9. sjb67

Frank,
    Thank you for the honest review, very well stated. Sounds like a really good entry level tool that performs decent in all areas. As with most things strong points as well as weak but sounds like a good overall mix as you say for the budget minded as well as people that do not have the demands and needs of guides and professional hunters.

10. FrankT

You are more than welcome, I look at gear as a common hunter on a budget with a lease I enjoy. I am betting I represent 50% or more of the guys out there buying gear. The only difference is the amount of money one has to spend for a hobby.

sjb67 likes this.
  11. sjb67

I would really like to see a sample video from this unit at different ranges if any one has that available.

12. FrankT

yeah sorry no MDVR here