First Bobcat of 2015

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well into the second night in a row of hunting at TBR in Montague County, waiting for one of several boars that were showing up one camera, this little bobcat appeared at the treeline just north of my stand.

It was a beautiful evening with great weather, unseasonably warm temps, low humidity, and plenty of animal activity.

I could not get her attention well enough to turn her around and she started to walk off. At one point, I thought she might turn around, but no luck. I opted for a Texas heart shot with the idea that the 6.5 Grendel would easily pass all the way down the body and I managed to push the shot and missed the cat at 75 yards.

The cat was obviously startled and after returning to earth was finally in a nice broadside position and standing still. She was immediately dropped with a followup shot that entered the side of her neck and tore out a goodly amount of tissue and exited the other side.

She was over 15 lbs, but I did not put her on the scale for a measured weight.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great video - nice opening shot as well.

You might consider learning how to replicate a 6.8 muzzle blast to replace your lip squeak...

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
very clear pic and video. Great follow-up shot.good shooting there Brian

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thank you.

You know, the humidity was fairly low and that seems to really help the quality of the video, that and the bobcat was at about the same distance for which I had the scope focused.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice follow up shot!
You might think about about one of those squeeky toys inside angry bird and angry bird as a shooting rest. Just sayin.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nicely done there B. Barely flinched before going down for the count.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Good job Brian. I get bobcats on my cameras, but never see them when hunting. I would like to get a big one to get mounted and I want to try eating one as I heard the meat is pretty good. Would really like to get a mountain lion one of these days.