First 308 AR

Discussion in 'Firearms; Rifle, Shotgun, Pistol, accessories.' started by Green Swamp, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Green Swamp

Green Swamp New Member

I want to invest in a 308 AR rifle. This will be my first AR and need some advice on either building or buying complete. What upper/lower should I use or what manufacture of complete rifle do you recommend. I plan to run this rifle suppressed.

2. pruhdlr

pruhdlr Cantonment,Fla. SUS VENATOR CLUB

Keep a close eye on the PSA(Palmetto State Armory)website. They run specials that have the complete gun or the upper and lower seperate. Sometimes the lower is "complete" (with BCG and charging handle),sometimes not.
    For your first weapon,at the cheap prices nowadays . . . BUY. I have seen a complete AR/308 for <$600. This would be a good place to start your build.You could slowly add this,and change that,until you had a gun that was "yours".
    Most AR/308 parts are the same as any other AR parts. Sign up for the internet flyers. From PSA,Cheaper Than Dirt,Kentucky Gun Co.,and others. The specials come and go pretty fast. Scan these sites often. --- pruhdlr

3. Green Swamp

Green Swamp New Member

Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I ran across the Live Free sight this morning and was wondering about this company. That is great news. I also have looked at the PWS rifles. I live in NC. I am running short on time and will probably have more questions. I stopped in for lunch and checked the posts. Talk to yall later.

4. 437

437 LSB Active Member

If price and availability are a given I would take a PWS in a nano-second over any 308AR on the market. Or if someone gave me an SR-25 I'd sell it and use the extra for a can and Trail XP thermal! I think PWS is that stellar.

Jhop likes this.
  5. Green Swamp

Green Swamp New Member

Do you shoot the steel case stuff out of your Live Free Armory rifle?

6. theblakester

theblakester Got a black belt in keeping it real. LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

PSA has a complete lower and complete upper for $459 shipped. Yes AR 10. Summer hunters sale

7. theblakester

theblakester Got a black belt in keeping it real. LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Well said. I also have one of the FN barreled 5.56 guns. I also had issues with my .308 16" ar10 from them out the gate. I got an RMA and detailed the issue with pics. They fixed it and sent it back. No issues since. Accuracy isn't that incredible with it but that may be me not handling the muzzle rise appropriately.

8. Jhop

Jhop LSB Active Member SUS VENATOR CLUB

Muzzle brakes? Y'all hunt with ear muffs and earplugs on? Or just go deaf from the muzzle blast? Or are these just range guns?

9. der Teufel

der Teufel Livin' the Dream … SUS VENATOR CLUB

If I'm not using a suppressor, I always try to remember to put on my active (electronic) earmuffs.

10. Green Swamp

Green Swamp New Member

The suppressor video by Todd was very helpful.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  11. Green Swamp

Green Swamp New Member

308 is on its way. What sites do most use to buy the bulk hunting ammo?

12. BDubbs

BDubbs LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Hit AmmoSeek.com and see what you think, usually AmmoLiquidator has the best prices out there

13. NYCHOGKILLER

NYCHOGKILLER LSB Member

I have an Aero Precision M5 upper and lower... they're great... they have them on sale now for I believe 219.99 for a set... they're heavier than an AR15 so I put a V7 Weapons system 16" lightweight barrel and had them flute it.. shoots great and I took 5 hogs and 2 coyote in April near Anahuac Texas... I also just finished a 6.8 SPC build to keep a lighter rifle around and so I can hunt deer in upstate NY....

14. Juanthelawnmowerthief

Juanthelawnmowerthief LSB Member

Thanks for the offer 437 but I live in TX. I am trying to get more information to buy down the road as I just spent my budget on the thermal and a 6.8 rifle. That is light for a traditional framed AR10, my Bushmaster 308 weighs in at 12.5 lbs with a cheap Redfield 3x9x40 scope.