Finding AR-15 rifle slings

jglass

LSB Member
I need to detach my rifle slings as needed. I need a sling for hog hunting so when I'm walking to the tree stand my hands are free for pulling my pants up, an old age thing. I also want a sling for the tree stand to prevent the rifle from falling to the ground. For the last year I have spent hours shopping for a detachable sling. There are countless slings on the market with the spring loaded latch. I have had one since 1965 that was on my Marlin 989 M1. As we know AR-15's come with sling swivels already mounted to the rifle. So,,,how do we use the latch on the slings with the existing swivel. Last fall I removed the swivels from the ar's and machined up Sling Swivel Studs for the spring loaded latch.

Now with the addition of my 9mm AR-15 the search resumed for a detachable sling to go with the existing swivels. Searched Cabela's then a large gun shop. Cabela's had one sling with dog collar snaps. They had slings that would detach from the swivels but they were in the $40 to $50 range. One sling was leather, nice, and used a button to form a loop for the swivel. I thought now that is a great idea but the sling cost $54. The gun shop had a box full of misfit rifle slings for $4 each so I bought one with the spring loaded latch missing altogether.

Thinking about the snaps used on boat covers I went to ACE hardware and bought a snap button kit for $6 including the riveting tools. Below is a picture of all my sling endeavors and curious what you guy do for slings on your AR-15's?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The quick detachable as Rookie showed are the best way to go. My sling is on, off and on again, it is in the single point position then into a double point hookup all w/in a second or 2.
They other evening i was in a field full of stickers so I popped it off and stuck it in my back pocket while stalking. You do have to have the female hole of course which I do on my forearm end and in the stock in various places for different hookups.
I ordered the sling with the buttons on line for around 20.00, maybe a little more.

jglass

LSB Member
Someone on another forum suggested using carrying straps on computer bags because they already have the dog collar snaps. Also neck straps for camera.
Looked around and found I already had several around the house. Glad I didn't spend the $54 yesterday. So I'll remount the swivel on the stock and already have swivels for the forearm.

fanninland

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ditto VTAC, the 2 point padded version for me, with MI, Noveske or similar quality qd swivels. My thinking is given the cost of what's attached to it, the cost of the sling is pretty much irrelevant - but to each his own.