Finally got one with my 6.8....

Arnold Galvan

Mckinney, Texas
Got a shot on my first hog with the 6.8, with the help of a few friends.

We got invited to shot some hogs and doves up in Haskell county. The doves were everywhere, we were set up near a sunflower field and could not believe the amount of doves flying around. Been a while since I hunted for doves so I didn't limit out but it was a lot of fun trying.

Our first night we were out driving around and ran across one big sow and about 10 piglets crossing the dirt road. Stopped the truck and tried to pick them up with my scope, but all of the dust that comes with driving on dirt roads blocked my vision got off one shot and missed. But seeing that group and all of the hog tracks in different spots showed lots of promise.

Second night out, we set up in the middle of the field near a couple of feeders and corn on the roads. One person had night vision and was scanning the fields for a while, but we didn't see or hear anything. Went to check the roads where all of the corn was and we were too late, hogs had come and gone. Decided to drive around with lights scanning each field and ran into one big boar.

Me and a buddy were standing in the bed of the truck and my buddy starts to fire at the hog along with one person that was in the passenger seat. Hog was hit twice with a 223, square on the shoulder and on the back leg cutting his tendon. Passenger hit the hog on the lower part of the front leg that snapped it in half and the round went through his lower chest ( 300 blackout). I didn't get a shot off because it looked like the hog was going to stay down. But he got right back up and starting running (limping away from us). Everyone got back in the truck and made a u-turn and heading around the field and found him trying to get through the fence about 60 yards out. They let me take a shot at him and I hit the hog right in the neck and that dropped him (using 6.8 Federal Fusion). Drove up to the hog and I finished him off with one more shot to the head. After inspecting the hog, he was hit 6 times.

Measurements were: 40 inches around the chest. From the nose to his tail he measured 54 inches long. Below are the pictures. A couple of the pictures show the leg snapped in half with the 300 BO.

Sorry for the long post and all of the pictures, just damn excited. Had my 6.8 for over a year now and finally got a hog.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats, that's one gnarly looking hog !

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice looking hog!! 40"=200lbs but he looks larger than that to me in the pics

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great write up it was not too long! And we all like pictures! Like Frank said 40" heart girth is 200 pound give or take ten pounds. Pictures are deceiving on size all my 300+ hogs look smaller than the 270-290 pound hogs good job!

Arnold Galvan

Mckinney, Texas
Thanks guys. I was looking at all of the pictures and the hog looks a lot smaller in the pic that I am in, but looking at the first picture he looks a lot bigger. If I wasn't so damn excited about getting a hog, I would have taken some better pictures. This is the first time that I have ever witness a hog run after taking a couple of rounds, just glad I was able to stop him and keep us from chasing him any further.

Now I know how you all feel after a good hunt and after a little more experience, I will take my time with pictures. LOL

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It was all due to you using the 6.8, instead of those weaker calibers!

Arnold Galvan

Mckinney, Texas
LOL....There were some bigger ones that were caught on the game cams. Now I am looking forward to getting one a little bit bigger to be in the club. :)

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I bet you get there soon!

Arnold Galvan

Mckinney, Texas
It was all due to you using the 6.8, instead of those weaker calibers!

I assumed that I had the AR loaded with my Hornady 120 SST, figured I had a little room for error with that round. But after unloading my rifle I realized that I had the Federal Fusion. The Fusions really do some damage on the spine.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The Fusion is an excellent hog rd

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way to go Arnold! Nice shooting keep up the nice work.

Arnold Galvan

Mckinney, Texas
Way to go Arnold! Nice shooting keep up the nice work.

Thank you.

Something that I am going to look into is another muzzle brake. When everyone else is shooting suppressed and then mine goes off...WOW. I have the shorty brake right now and it's really not bad, but you damn sure notice the difference.

Last edited: