Finally got my .300 blackout

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks DaveABQ elbow!

Man this thing is quiet first off! Shooting subsonic 220gr hornady round nose hand loads. It has performed flawlessly.

I guess I will test it on hogs but think a ear shot is the only option. But it should be great for coons and coyotes!

Don't expect to use any supersonic rounds in it the .308 and 6.8 way out shine it in that area. But subsonic is going to be fun!

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I bet it is quieter than a 22lr unsupressed, right. Should make for a great stalk gun when you can get in really close. Looking forward to some vids.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is the role of the 300, subsonic and suppressed, if i reloaded I would have gone with Bison's subsonic 6.8 though...what is the comparison between those?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
.300 is going to beat the 6.8 subsonic. In the subsonic world the heavier wider bullet wins because they are all going the same speed.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks, I was not sure, but I do know you can kill hogs w the 300 sub as they do it here and love it.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It will surely kill them but shot placement will be key. I've killed hogs with a .22lr

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
TLM, hope you don't mind me asking this in your thread.

I just got a NEF Handi chambered in 300BO. My application will be hunting hogs and deer at 150yds max. Probably averageing 80-90yds. I want to stay super and will not be adding a can. I am set up to reload. Wondering what was the preferred bullet design and weight for my app ?? Seems like small and light would be best. Say....<130gr. Or would a well made bullet of 110gr work better ??

Also you say you will have to take a ear shot with a Hornady 220gr RN. Was wondering why ?? The slow speed ?? Any info will be usefull. Thanks --- pruhdlr

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't have any supersonic loads for the .300 I will post the ones I have read about when I get home. It's purely a subsonic varmint killer for me.

Ear shot because the 220 hornady rn was designed to expand at speeds past 1,600 fps. I'm only pushing it 1000fps tops. So it won't expand it's just going to make a thin 30 caliber hole in whatever it hits. Unless it tumbles.

Will it kill a hog if it hits the heart or lungs? Most likely but the chances of a slow and painful death are high. Not to mention never recovering the animal.

I prefer the DRT power shots. Now a blackout loaded supersonic is close to a 7.62x39 or a 30/30 not bad but I prefer the 6.8 for that.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Go with the 125 grain loads supersonic and you should have not problem on most deer and hogs. If it is a very large bodied animal break the spine.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
missed this post

you're welcome Todd, hope it gives you some fun, I know they are quiet with subs and the suppressor, bullet expansion sucks, but like you said, stick on in the ear drum and they aren't going anywhere, great for where low noise is required too, like in and around houses, etc.

I plan on taking my SBR 300 out this winter on some hogs, got the form back to take my SBR across state lines, put in the form for a year timeframe and they approved it....

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
That is the role of the 300, subsonic and suppressed, if i reloaded I would have gone with Bison's subsonic 6.8 though...what is the comparison between those?

I've got both Frank. In the 6.8 BSP (Bison Subsonic Platform) you are really limited to the 200gr Woodleigh bullets that they made for the gun, they won't expand much. As said above, the heavier bullets the better, so there are heavier bullets for the 300, and some subsonic bullets made to expand at sub velocities made by Lehigh, Outlaw and Corbin which would tilt the advantage to the 300.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks Dave, I really have no need for a 300 but was curious.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh I get some really fat mutant squirrels here in Florida

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
we've got mutant squirrels here in New Mexico, called the Abert, man are they big and ugly lol

yea frank, to me, the 300 BLK is purely a sub gun, sure you can load it supersonic, but much better choices for it as Todd had pointed out, would rather use my 7.62x40WT if I wanted something based on a .223/5.56 case

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If I didn't have my 338 spectre I might build a 300 BO just for the heck of it

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I know the blackout gets a hard time especially from the 68 crowd. But it's a fun round to shoot and cheaper for me. Can't wait to try it on a few golf courses!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Because the only thing it can hit effectively is a fairway