Field Test / Review of an Optical Doubler added to a Pulsar Digisight n750

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Evening Digital Fans -

I have been wanting to tackle the doubler project on the n750 for quite awhile, I received a Dr. Bob's doubler kit in the mail which requires no modifications whatsoever to the Digisight scope - so the warranty stays intact.

I bought a used Sony 1.7x telephoto lens from B&H Photo and a Polaroid 2.2x lens to get an idea what a cheaper lens could do. Unfortunately I was unable to get my hands on the Pulsar/Yukon 1.7x lens which the Dr. Bob's kit also supports.

So without further delay, click on the text below to see the video review:

Written summary of the video is as follows:

The doubler is an additional lens in front of the native lens of the Digisight. With this type of configuration you are limiting the amount of lens surface area which ultimately reduces the amount of light gathering coming into the image sensor.

Adding the doubler increases overall weight of the weapon's platform, I chose to go with the AR15 to attempt to keep overall weight below 10 lbs. Scanning via a handheld monocular is alot easier than scanning with the gun. You also will increase the overall length of the scope system so bear in mind what your hunting positions are with regards to blind window or hunting vehicle window clearances.

Pros:

The Sony lens continues to shine as a top-pick for a doubler setup.

Increase of base magnification from 4.5x to 7.65x (use of digital zoom tops you out at 11.5x).

A clearer and sharper image results from adding the quality Sony lens in front of the Pulsar's native lens.

Repeatable zero if you use a thread locking agent to set the lens and adaptor in place.

The Dr. Bob's kit does not void your factory warranty and installation is so easy, even a Caveman.... Nevermind ;)

Cons:

The Polaroid lens is a non-starter

Added weight and length to the scope and gun.

Reduced light gathering which results in a darker image at night. I can tell you that the difference IS significant and that a high power/output IR illuminator will be needed to offset the loss of objective lens real estate.

Added money to increase magnification.

Change in Point of Impact, I experienced a 6 inch shift left from original zero (no doubler).

With the exposed Sony lens you may have to augment the way in which you transport the gun, a stiff whack to the side of the lens would probably result in an altered zero. I cut out the foam in a RedHead gun case to prevent issues during transport however when your in the field you will need to be extra cautious with carrying the gun through brush and over terrain.

Final Thoughts - I am going to keep the doubler on for a few months to see how I like it. I really like the increased clarity and feel confident that 200 yards is still achievable for making a clean shot with the onboard IR laser illuminator. I will update with hunting videos come Aug/Sept.

Happy Hunting!!!

HTXH

Last edited:

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I saw these before I decided not to go digital nv. The Sony sounds like the way to go.

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Did you look through the n550 or the n750 when you evaluated digital NV?

The n750 is a lot better in terms of image rendering.

HTXH

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I looked at two 550's they were not even close to my pvs-14. The 750 would have to be about double the 550 to compete. Now on a half to full moon they would be great for the video option. Ill have to try one of these 750's out one day.

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Well I don't think it is a valid comparison (digital to image intensification tube tech) for a number of reasons. I won't boar :) you with them.

What I can share is my experience of the differences observed from extensive time spent behind both versions of the scope.

In my opinion, for a dedicated night scope, Pulsar is the best bang for the buck.

I will say that trying out an n750 is not going to change your mind about the PVS14 being superior however I did want to point out the significant difference between the n550 and n750.

Thanks,

HTXH

DFWRoadkill

SUS VENATOR CLUB
Well I see Ben made his way over here. Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum. Glad to find the place. :D

I like the Pulsar products because I think they offer a lot of bang for the buck. Mine has been very reliable and I have taken many hogs with it at night. It would seem that the ultimate test of a product would be whether it does what it is built to do. The Pulsar does that. I will say that adding an aftermarket IR illuminator and a magnification doubler improves the ability of the scope a lot. On the other hand, if you are wanting to compare it to a Gen 3 scope such as the PVS 14 that costs roughly twice as much, be certain that the PVS 14 will offer you a better image.

Looks like a great site for those of us that enjoy hog hunting and the ability to hunt them at night... :cool:

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Well I see Ben made his way over here. Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum. Glad to find the place. :D

I like the Pulsar products because I think they offer a lot of bang for the buck. Mine has been very reliable and I have taken many hogs with it at night. It would seem that the ultimate test of a product would be whether it does what it is built to do. The Pulsar does that. I will say that adding an aftermarket IR illuminator and a magnification doubler improves the ability of the scope a lot. On the other hand, if you are wanting to compare it to a Gen 3 scope such as the PVS 14 that costs roughly twice as much, be certain that the PVS 14 will offer you a better image.

Looks like a great site for those of us that enjoy hog hunting and the ability to hunt them at night... :cool:

Welcome to the forum, it is great to see you here.

HTXH

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Welcome looking forward to some videos from that thing then!

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
The Pulsar Digisight n750 with a doubler claims it's first victim over the weekend.

I have to dump out a bunch of IR light however the extra magnification made shot placement easier.

Here is the vid:

Please excuse the reference to the other forum, I made the video as a submission for a contest over there.

HTXH

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
...but but but you were being charged by one! You were in danger. Had you stayed in that spot a few more minutes, he would have gotten you!

Now that I think about it, it would have made the video a bit more interesting if I had finished off those stinkers on the run. I didn't wan't to appear to be bloodthirsty though :)

HTXH

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
could have had a nice skunk hat to wear hunting hogs now!

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Could have collected a little cover scent to use when hunting coyotes! That stuff costs a fortune (when you can find it). Could you imaging having the job of Skunk Squeezer or Skunk Stink collector? Might put a damper on the social life.
Having an ADD moment there.