Feeder Placement Near Nest

Soonlobo

LSB Member
How close is too close placing feeders nearby nests?

We don't want to chase the hogs off, but want to place a feeder/blind about 200 yards from a known hog nest.

I think it should be good, we'll only be hunting every 2 weeks maximum, and the hogs seem to travel so much that it shouldn't be a factor.

The hogs showed up at this spot for two days with corn and scents baited in the area.

Thoughts?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think 200 yards is far enough away. It has taken several weeks of going in and shooting them in a bedding area before they gave up on it totally for me.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think mine nest where they end up for the night, not necessarily in the same place all the time. So I am more plot, feeder stations and blind, then make them come to me.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was trying to figure out a proper answer for this and realized that I don't know the different between just a bedding down area and a nesting areas. I have had hogs sleep within 30 yards of a feeder and had hogs designate a small clearing as a toilet area that was within 50 and 70 yards of two feeders. From what I have read, toilet areas are near areas where they sleep, but if that is the case, they were actually sleeping on my neighbor's property. Regardless, we had fresh poop showing up in this clearing.

So hogs will sleep near a feeder. Whether putting one in after the fact will disturb them is another question I can't answer. My guess is that if it does that it won't last for long.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
In nesting areas you will find the nest they make. They look like the nest from jurassic park movie minus the eggs lol. I have found that if you don't disturb the actual area to much they will keep using it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey after battling the roll barrel for a couple of hrs they take a nap in my plots and sometimes under the feeders.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
TLM, sorry, I wasn't clear. I understand what nests are and have seen various vids and pics of them. I am just not sure about whatever social or behavioral differences that hogs may have tied to nesting areas versus opportunistic bedding areas, if there are any preferences for nesting versus bedding down, etc. Not disturbing the immediate area makes perfect sense. I was probably just overthinking the issue.

I have only seen one possible nest on my place that fits the descriptions I have read, but never saw it in use or had anyone else confirm it. It was actually only about 50 yards or so from my rifle range, LOL.

Soonlobo

LSB Member
I think the key for our area is there won't be any hunting more than once per week. Mostly every couple of weeks.