Feedback on Flir RS64 2-16x60

Discussion in 'Night Vision/Thermal' started by Jay Gusler, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Jay Gusler

Jay Gusler New Member

Hello all. I have learned a lot on this forum and looking for feedback on this discontinued Flir model. I have a chance to buy a 2 year old unit for $2000 and possibly less. I’ve rented a Pulsar Trail a couple times so that is my benchmark for thermal image quality. Purpose is for calling coyotes at night in south Texas and also checking feeders at night for hogs.

Does anyone have experience with this model? I do not care about taking video or any fancy stuff, just want a thermal that I can use as a weapon mount or as a scanner that will be good enough to tell the difference between a deer and a coyote out to 200 yards.

Thank you for your input.

2. Brian Shaffer

Brian Shaffer Hog Hunter SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

I was not a fan of the RS series of scopes from FLIR. With that said, for $2G, that sounds like an excellent way to get into thermal hunting with a fairly capable optic. Looking at the vids online, I would say that you should be able to tell the difference between a deer and a copy out to 200 yards. That is said with the caveat that you have to learn how to identify silhouettes that may not always be in profile, and that you need to learn how to distinguish between how deer and coyotes move. Depending on conditions and vegetation, it can be hard to separate deer from coyotes at 200 yards with more capable scopes, or deer from hogs, or hogs from calves.

These scopes came out originally 5 or 6 years ago and were not great sellers, in part because of the bulk. The model you are looking at weighs 2.4 lbs, IIRC.

I don't know where you are getting the scope, but they have an internal battery. The good news is that it will run for longer than if you used CR123 batteries. The bad news is that it is not user serviceable. You can, I believe, plug in an external battery to recharge in the field. If the internal battery goes dead, FLIR would have to service the unit. assuming they still do. The probably do, but they have cutoff points where they stop servicing their older products.

For $2g, it is more capable than any new scope you can get at close to that price.

3. Jay Gusler

Jay Gusler New Member

Thank you. I bought it today. Pleased with the backyard field test,will try it out this weekend in south Texas. Weight is 1.8 lbs so not too bad.

4. Brian Shaffer

Brian Shaffer Hog Hunter SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Ah! Maybe 2.3 was shipping weight?

Good luck and let us know how it does.