Electronic calls for hogs

Canadianhoghunter

LSB Member
Hey,

Anybody have any experience with using electronics calls to hunt wild hogs? What brand or phone app has worked for you? I have also seen that there is supposed to be an app with sounds from Glenn Guess coming out soon. Does anybody know when or is it already out?

Any info would greatly be appreciated.

Cheers,

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

I had gotten some calls to test for Guess (video above) who is working up a new set for sale. However, I don't think they are ready yet, but when they are, I believe they will be on iTunes (or that was the plan when I last spoke with him). However, the set he previously did up for Fox Pro is currently available. Sounds such as Sow Protection, Lil Piggy, Pig Distress are typically pretty good as are a couple of others. You want sounds that attract interest, either curiosity or protectiveness over scarier sounds such as Boars Fighting. Boars Fighting may work, but it can also scare off hogs as well.

Also, hogs learn about calls and may not be apt to come to calls again in the near future. So if you lure in a sounder once, the hogs you don't get may not come to the call next time.

Canadianhoghunter

LSB Member

I had gotten some calls to test for Guess (video above) who is working up a new set for sale. However, I don't think they are ready yet, but when they are, I believe they will be on iTunes (or that was the plan when I last spoke with him). However, the set he previously did up for Fox Pro is currently available. Sounds such as Sow Protection, Lil Piggy, Pig Distress are typically pretty good as are a couple of others. You want sounds that attract interest, either curiosity or protectiveness over scarier sounds such as Boars Fighting. Boars Fighting may work, but it can also scare off hogs as well.

Also, hogs learn about calls and may not be apt to come to calls again in the near future. So if you lure in a sounder once, the hogs you don't get may not come to the call next time.

That makes sense. So say I called in a sounder and killed one of the hogs (hopefully the lead sow) and didn't come back to that area for a month or two, would you think that same sounder could not be called in the next time I used the same call?