Edjumicate Me...

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I got to work a couple of weeks ago, and learned that a FLIR has been ordered for me to use. I was told it's the Mid-Range one ("TS-32"), but do not know whether it's the "Pro" or not. I see that it's rated for down to -4F. Would I need to have a blanket for this to insulate it from the immediate affects of freezing up? Wondering whether I'll need to just roll the window down for a quick scan, and not expose it to the extreme cold we get?

ts32.png

http://www.flir.com/uploadedFiles/C...Scout_TS-Series/Scout-TS-Series-Datasheet.pdf

It'll be nice to finally get a chance to play with one. I already know that they don't see well through windows, especially thermal panes.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I don't think you will have any issues with the cold unless you leave it out there all the time.

The biggest issue I've seen with the FLIR units vs thermal units are refresh. The 9Hz refresh/video on those make it really chopping when panning.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That would be a question I hope to never learn in person -4 uggh!!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well.... they went cheap and didn't order the one they said they were. The TS24 (not the "Pro") is a lower resolution unit, is only rated to 32F, doesn't take stills/video, doesn't have the 2x zoom. Handy little unit, simple to use. Battery life sucks, and there is no 12V charger offered. The one they SAID they were ordering for us is a $6K unit, the one they bought is half that. I have a hunch they're going to opt for the 30 day return option and go with the PS32 (same price as the TS24), which is a higher resolution, rated to the -4F range... but doesn't do stills/video. At least I got to play with it a little. No critterage to look at with it though. Only things I saw this time were an arctic fox and two red foxes.. and didn't have the unit with me for either encounter (had to "share" it with the shore bunch... they're hoping to get a second unit ordered).

Oh, and it got down to -27F ambient this hitch, wind chill brought it down to -38F.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well.... they went cheap and didn't order the one they said they were. The TS24 (not the "Pro") is a lower resolution unit, is only rated to 32F, doesn't take stills/video, doesn't have the 2x zoom. Handy little unit, simple to use. Battery life sucks, and there is no 12V charger offered. The one they SAID they were ordering for us is a $6K unit, the one they bought is half that. I have a hunch they're going to opt for the 30 day return option and go with the PS32 (same price as the TS24), which is a higher resolution, rated to the -4F range... but doesn't do stills/video. At least I got to play with it a little. No critterage to look at with it though. Only things I saw this time were an arctic fox and two red foxes.. and didn't have the unit with me for either encounter (had to "share" it with the shore bunch... they're hoping to get a second unit ordered).

Oh, and it got down to -27F ambient this hitch, wind chill brought it down to -38F.
Sounds like you guys are experiencing a Heat Wave.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like you guys are experiencing a Heat Wave.

Actually, overall, it's been a warmer than usual winter this year. This has been the coldest... generally (by now) we're seeing the -40F ambient range... with wind added to it.