Dove season 2015 who's hunting???

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Opening day 2015 is rapidly approaching who's going where you hunting? Share the hunting forecast everything I'm hearing point to a great year! Share you dove pics and stories if you have them!

this HTML class. Value is

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Planning on driving back to TX from Norman OK Sept 5th which is start of white wing season back home.
Hope weather is permitting.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Have a few invites so far. Devine, Texas for sure as well as a few other places outside San Antonio. (New girlfriend comes with bonus family members) Kind of like a 20 gauge for doves. Tried 410 quite a bit, but it's tough to kill them consistently with one, for me anyway.

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Will be hunting in Palo Pinto and Erath Counties. Have a couple spots in each County. Looking forward to it.

There are tons of sunflowers and lots of birds west of Palo Pinto along 180. Lot of it is owned by the 101 Ranch/Bob Simpson but I have access to neighboring property with several good water holes. Usually works well in the evenings.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I miss Dove hunts so much, we are very limited here.

Drift

LSB Member
Invited to 5 dove weekends on the ranch I hunt in Central Florida. The rancher puts in a couple of hundred acres of (I think) millet for a dove field. I'm not too good with a shotgun but its great fun. The key is they mow every other lane to ankle high while leaving the alternate lanes knee high. That keeps lanes open enough to find the downed birds but still lots of cover to feed and attract the birds.
I use a 12 gauge 870 and high brass shells #7 dove load from a company in Argentina. Every couple of years I give the rancher a case for a Christmas present. I used to (try and) use a auto shotgun but they kept jamming on me.
Afterwards, 5- 6 of us sit around the fire, eat a little fish dip, drink a couple of beers and plan deer and turkey season out.
It's not Heaven...
Maybe it is.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looking around our lake Leon property this afternoon we have lots of birds. I haven't hunted the last few years but probably will this season.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'll be working the white wing opener again in Hidalgo County again. There are birds everywhere down here right now. We had people limit out in as fast as 30 min last year, this year should be even better! I won't get to hunt until the second weekend of white wing season down here but at least I can open my front door and start shooting! Next year I'll have to plant some sorghum.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Damn I wish I was back home again, hunted a lot in Hidalgo and surrounding areas. Dad was w Sun Oil and all the companies had great leases we were invited to.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'll be in Clay County hunting pecan orchards as usual. I spoke with the owner and he said his trees are getting covered up in dove. Last year I limited in an hour! Going to try to pace myself this year and just enjoy the time outdoors and away from work.

The owner does day dove lease and has a big cookout after the hunting stops on opening day. Usually bbq or fried fish. Only downside is the wardens stop by everyday right at quiting time and want to count everyone's birds. Everyone stays legal, but it disrupts the eating for a bit. Just doing their job though.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
image_zps3dxyz9al.jpg

We've got lots of these planted but they are a little late for opening day. We open on a Friday at noon this year for some reason? But we're seeing lots of dove in our area now.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
FL is so messed up on dates and rules
2015-16 "Anticipated" Mourning and White-Winged Dove Season Dates
*All Dates are subject to change until finalized

• Phase 1: September 26, 2015 - October 26, 2015
  • Phase 2: November 14, 2015 - December 7, 2015
  • Phase 3: December 12, 2015 - January 15, 2016
Shooting Hours:

• Phase 1: Noon to sunset
  • Phases 2 and 3: ½ hour before sunrise to sunset
Bag Limit (daily/possession):15/45

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Frank those are some weird dates. Starting back up in the middle of a week for phase 2 and 3 seems like a waste.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Then on my deer lease all we have are home birds, no flyway. The FWC here plants fields, cuts them in time for season and nothing but the local birds and after they are shot nothing but grain on the ground and plants

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My experience with dove hunting is that after opening weekend or two, 90% of the people don't hunt again or rarely get back out. It's usually better to have guys out popping them to keep them moving but later gets a little trickier. (is that a word) The birds get smarter and you have to change your set up a little.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I hope to make it to my ex-wife's ranch in Stephens county to hunt with my daughter. I have to work the first week and a half of the season, but I'll get out as soon as I can.

Cazz

US Army Veteran, Hunting Addict
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great dove hunting in Illinois, if you ever get over this way. 2015 Opener in Whiteside County.P9010003.JPG