BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Which wavelengths don't work?

Which work best?

Does it matter at all?

Side question, what about visible light, red or green or whatever?

Does one have any advantage over the other?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I know the hogs could see whatever Brian was using when we hunted.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yep, they can see the glow at the source for your typical LED illuminators from the 790s-well into the 900nm range. All of the LEDs seem to emit a tiny fraction of visible light and so the source glows, but to see it, you have to be looking at it. They do not see the projected light, however.

How hogs react to it is variable. Most don't care and I have a bunch of videos that show this. Some freak out when there is something new in their environment such as when you are ambushing hogs for the second night in a row at the same location with a horde of hunters, LOL. BTW, where are the vids from the first night, TLM?

Generally, LED IR illuminators range from 790-930 nm. The lower the nm, the closer you are to the visible spectrum and the greater the projection of light as seen through NV for a given amount of power. If you put the same amount of power on a 930nm illuminator, the range projected as seen through NV is greatly reduced. If you use an IR filter in an incandescent light or xenon light, the range will be comparatively abysmal. High nm lights are best for very short range illumination. Around 850 nm seems to be about the best compromise of good range and most usable nm.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I was using my new laser from Ident this past weekend. That hog freaked out when I put it on him and cranked it up a bit. He took off like a rocket. That's why the kill counter didn't reflect 2 for Burleson County.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Or throw it at them

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So, the digital night vision can pick up all the IR lights even the 940s.

good to know, thanks

my only experience is with a Night Enforcer PVS-14

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you are hunting from a blind at 12' up and the feeder is 50-60 yards away they never notice the glow. If you and the hog are on the ground he has a better chance to see it.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was more asking about what the devise could see.

the elevation is a good thing

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
let me know how the xsight likes the IR

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a Gen1 that I cannot mount so I hold it. The built in IR is probably the weakest you can buy and it is good for 75yd shots, the 850 I bought off ebay Dave told me about for $12 or so I could shoot to 100 at least...if that helps.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for the input. I am trying to learn more about the advances in digital night vision as it differs from tube night vision.

Generally speaking the terms Gen 1, 2, 3 and the misapplied term Gen4 all are talking about the light amplification tubes that are very sensitive to light and will be damaged by sunlight.

Digital, it seems to me, is not only safe in he daylight but can be used 24/7. And at a much lower price point. Nothing is perfect and it has limitations. I want to learn these limitations.

As the technology improves (think 4K tv sets) digital may see great strides I performance. The X-sight holds a lot of promise, maybe too much. They really reached for the stars and
might come up a bit short. But for the price it should still be a reasonable option.

Thanks to all