Diesel. Corn. Too much?

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How much diesel is too much when adding it to corn to keep the deer coons ect off of it. I know it doesn't take much. I did almost 2 gallons mixed into 5 40 lb bags of dry corn and 6 five gallon buckets full of soured corn. It's rainy and it only soaked for 15 min- 1 hour.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The one time I accidentally soaked my corn in motor oil the coons still ate it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
all you need is a cup in a 50lb bag... it is the smell not floating in fuel...lol

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Brian, I'm sure the diesel in the corn bags just leaked through. The diesel in the buckets stayed until I threw the corn.
Lawman.. I think the deer and coons still are a little bit of the corn but not as much as they normally would.
Unfortunately after 5 hours of baiting yesterday, 5 hours of walking and an hour of driving from one place to another I ended the night shooting only a coon.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
^^ thank you for that! Im starting to notice that trend.. I was talking to a buddy about that on the phone while driving from one property to the next. Seems like the past few times I've come out hereI bait, and as soon as I leave there are new pigs on the game cameras hours after I leave.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Seems like the past few times I've come out hereI bait, and as soon as I leave there are new pigs on the game cameras hours after I leave.

Yes, those are the smart pigs. They wait just long enough to be sure you aren't coming back and then feast!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am telling you use Kreso-Dip, smells like creosote and acts as an attractant as well as the same as fuel to keep the other kritters away.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yep Frank. Kreso-Dip is the way to go. Paint some on the trees around the bait sight too. They love that stuff.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have used it as a cover scent, but beware and watch your back...lol

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
We hunted 3 nights 2 weeks ago with only one hog taken and only 3 seen the entire time. One of the cameras showed 18 hogs at the sour corn bait at 6am on Sunday morning shortly before we were leaving for home. Wish we had been able to hunt one more night...... I guess we all say that from time to time.

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
I have never used the kreso-dip or the diesel, but after spending last weekend watching a dozen coons devour 40 lbs of corn, I'm will be using both next trip. We have a lot of very big pigs on nearby acreage along with plenty of 100+ pounders. We are not able to hunt that area yet, but retrieved 2 weeks of great feeder pics.

A coworker told me to soak the corn in diesel for a few hours, drain it and set fuel aside for next batch.
Then, dig an 18" dp hole and fill with corn and then sprinkle rasberry jello on and around it. He swears by it.
The deer and coons will leave it alone and the pigs will dig a crater to get every bit of the corn. He did say this was specifically for a baited hog spot and not to be placed at a deer feeder.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
All I do is spray the corn with either out of a quart sprayer, it takes very little and certainly don't soak it

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
All I do is spray the corn with either out of a quart sprayer, it takes very little and certainly don't soak it

Frank,

That makes a lot of sense. It's the smell they're after, right? Tell me more about your approach.
Is it in a hole? Near a feeder? Do you hunt at night under lights? If you use kreso D, do you dilute it? Do you add jello or kool aid?
Thanks for any info.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well the only time I use the diesel is to keep deer and coons off it, works sometime and others not, same with soured corn.

I take a 4-5 gallon bucket fill no more than 1/2 w dry corn, add a pkg of yeast, koolaide powder 5 packs, sugar 1 lb and fill w water. Let sour 2 weeks in the sun w a top on and then dig a hole, bury it and save a bit to put on top and spray w the diesel.

POOR MANS is 2 liter of any red soda, a beer and the corn and fill w water.

I have used a large can of powdered sweet koolaide and sprinkled it on the top of corn pile on top of the ground, then spray w diesel to use the night I am hunting when I have not soured any corn

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Why the diesel ? Would think hogs would turn their snouts up from the smell

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Surprisingly, they are attracted to corn with diesel on it and it prevents the raccoons from eating it all before the hogs get to it.