Deer Rescue...

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Your good deed for the Doe, and advising your landowner will not go without notice. Good job Brian.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good work!
I always carry a bit of fence wire, some T-Post clips, fence nails, and a pair of fence pliers with me when I'm out. You never know what you'll need.

bar-d

Head Wrangler, Chief Manure Manager: Bar-D Cattle
They must have gotten the "no coyote hunting" memo....

ZapEm

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice job with the graphics. Wild animals can sense help, and for the most part stay calm. Good job and narration.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks, y'all. I got the impression from the owner that I could cut the fence if I needed to, but my wire puller was at home. It isn't like the fence hasn't been repaired a few times already. However, he was keeping his cattle separated in different pastures for a reason and have a downed fence while I went searching for tools was not acceptable. So I did what I could most easily repair.

Wild animals can sense help, and for the most part stay calm.

My big concern was that she would start flailing about and I would end up tangled in the fence with her and get torn up in the process. She stayed calm and we both got through it. What surprised me most was that she did not fight me when I pulled each hind leg up through the wires. She didn't seem to tense up either. Maybe you are right about sensing help.

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good on you Brian!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I read an article on how to build deer safe fencing and it isn't much more expensive than regular fencing techniques. It can save a lot of deer fatalities every year. You should be paying the neighbors a visit with that video showing all the hogs in their yard. You could be expanding your hunting areas. BTW, good job with the deer.

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job with the deer. When they get hung up and twist the wire I’ve seen people lose parts of fingers. Glad you both were ok!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats there, you browser Super-Hero! Now the bucks will come winking at you with your fresh hosing. That 'yote needed a dirt nap in a bad way!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job with the deer. When they get hung up and twist the wire I’ve seen people lose parts of fingers. Glad you both were ok!

It would have been a much safer job with a partner present, more light, more tools, etc., but time was of the essence and something had to be done. Keeping the deer's eyes covered, staying in physical contact with her so that she was not surprised by additional contact, doing nothing suddenly when close to her, and her level of exhaustion all helped make the extrication successful. When her head became uncovered as her rump hit the ground, all of that changed VERY quickly.

Congrats there, you browser Super-Hero! Now the bucks will come winking at you with your fresh hosing. That 'yote needed a dirt nap in a bad way!

Yes he did. Both in the video did. I actually saw a total of four, the other two skirting by out around 200 yards away, following the first pair.