Deciding on a thermal scope

DarkNight

LSB Member
Man, I just won't go away, will I ? I was curious for those of you who have owned the Zeus and Ir defense scopes, how long does it take to power the unit up? I see ir defense says > 4 seconds. I'm thinking I'd leave the unit off, scan with the Pulsar handheld & turn on the scope when coyote is seen. Is this a bad idea? Do they all take a while to fire up & be ready for a shot?

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I use both and can't tell the difference in the field. When I get to a spot i power scanner and scope up. The few times I jumped hogs unexpectedly neither has cost me a shot. Tactics and sneakiness prevail. Same goes for the Nuc on my ReapIR....pulling the cover down to nuc quickly becomes second nature.

ATLSteve

If you decide to use a battery pack like I do on my Reap-ir then I just leave it on the whole hunt as it should last @8-12 hours. Once I am done for the night I just recharge it (plus I have a spare battery pack - just in case)

JPK

LSB Active Member
Man, I just won't go away, will I ? I was curious for those of you who have owned the Zeus and Ir defense scopes, how long does it take to power the unit up? I see ir defense says > 4 seconds. I'm thinking I'd leave the unit off, scan with the Pulsar handheld & turn on the scope when coyote is seen. Is this a bad idea? Do they all take a while to fire up & be ready for a shot?

If you are calling, the best way to extend battery life and yet not miss opportunities is to power up the scope when you get set up and BEFORE you turn on the caller or use a hand call. As I think you probably already know, predators can come charging in very quickly sometimes and when that happens there just isn't time to power up a scope.

If I'm making a major move I'll turn off my scanner, but if only moving a little ways and walking I often leave it on. I carry a spare battery pack for my Pulsar scanner.

Every thermal I have used takes time to power up. When first up and running some take more fiddling than others to be ready to shoot. I can get a REAP-IR or Patrol ready to shoot quicker than a MK II because of the joystick on the former units for example. I can power up and have my MK II ready to shoot faster than my Pulsar XD 50s even though the 50S has a shutter for NUCing.

A rechargable battery pack really is the best solution.

JPK

Last edited:

firemedic2000

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
To revive this post. It was a great read. I really enjoy reading this this forum. I to am getting ready to buy a thermal for the first time. I just starting hunting. I have not hunted since I got out of the military years ago and now that I just retired from Fire Rescue my buddies took me hunting hog for the first time. I'm hooked.

I was given permission to hunt on several properties.

Been using dual nvgs and lasers

What about clip ons to use with your day scopes. Like the Armasight Apollo models in 336 or 640hz what are the disadvantages of them compared to a dedicated scopes. I read the side by side comparison post. But I want some input from you guys also. These thing aren't cheap. So I want to be as informed as possible before dropping this kind of cash.

Oh btw this was such a great post started by the op I did not see the need to start a new one. Considering all the great info that's in this one already.

Last edited:

JPK

LSB Active Member
Here is my take:

For less than the additional cost of a clip on vs. a dedicated scope (roughly an extra $1,000 for a properly colimated clip on vs. a similar spec dedicated scope) I can set up my day optic with a top of the line, repeatable QD mount. And also my thermal scope, if it isn't already set up with a top quality QD mount.

And then I don't have to hump the extra weight of the day optic when I hunt at night and my AR maintains its excellent balance.

I'm 55, in less than perfect shape and but can hump all night with my dedicated thermal scope on my light weight SBR.

My 20 year younger, current military, predator hunting bud can hump all night with his 18" barrel set up too, which includes a day scope and thermal clip on... but about 3:00am he starts to grouse about the weight... and the balance too.

JPK

firemedic2000

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL I see your point. I was an Army Ranger and just retired from fire rescue. I sometimes still think I can do the things I used to do. That is until I start doing them. Then I think wth am I doing. I just did turn 55 this past Nov. and after humping, dragging hoses and wearing that heavy hot turn out gear.

I can understand exactly where your coming from. After watching some more videos that is alot of gesr ontop of a weapon with a clipon thermal and day scope to be humping around. Now if I were setup in a blind or stand hunting that would be a different story.

But I have MOD3 units with lasers also on other weapons. I believe I'll take your and others advise and setup a dedicated SIX8 with a thermal scope.

Im looking at this below. From what I've read I should be able to shoot out to 200 yds with this scope.

From your experience would the 336 in 60hz preform the task of being able to allow shots comfortably out to 200 yds. That is if I do my part of coarse.

Armasight Zeus 640 2-16x42 30hz
Armasight Zeus 336 3-12x42mm 60hz

JPK

LSB Active Member
30hrtz is adequate for a scope and 60 Hrtz does not improve the utility of a 320 unit over a 640, 30hrtz unit.

I would compare FOV of the two units. I suspect the FOV of the 640 unit is significantly greater, both due to resolution/lens math and the greater native magnification of the 320 unit. FOV is critical.

200yds should not challenge either unit. I would suggest the 640 unit... both for the quicker, surer ID and the greater FOV.

You will eventually want a thermal scanner. Compared to even the best NV you will see 3-4x the critters with thermal.

JPK

firemedic2000

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well after reading this entire post and experiencing the vocal entertainment at one point which was pretty entertaining :)

I ended up buying the Armasight Zeus 3x24x75mm 640 30hz with the battery pack. Got package deal 5600.00 and some change from optics planet.

I was really tied between the above device and the MK2 HUNTER 35mm which I could have got for 6173.00 after discount. Now if you remove that battery pack from the Zeus there was about 900.00 difference in price.

I do know one thing I got a major headache from all the reading and youtube videos I've watched o_O researching thermals.

But thanks guys for all your advice and imput and entertainment. I mean that in a good way:D

Now if atf would just send me my darn stamps so I can get my suppressors out of jail. Starting 7 months and counting :(

Last edited:

Tido

Well after reading this entire post and experiencing the vocal entertainment at one point which was pretty entertaining :)

I ended up buying the Armasight Zeus 3x24x75mm 640 30hz with the battery pack. Got package deal 5600.00 and some change from optics planet.

I was really tied between the above device and the MK2 HUNTER 35mm which I could have got for 6173.00 after discount. Now if you remove that battery pack from the Zeus there was about 900.00 difference in price.

I do know one thing I got a major headache from all the reading and youtube videos I've watched o_O researching thermals.

But thanks guys for all your advice and imput and entertainment. I mean that in a good way:D

Now if atf would just send me my darn stamps so I can get my suppressors out of jail. Starting 7 months and counting :(

I just received the same thermal from cliff at third coast and absolutely love it. I hunt in Wisconsin. I think you will b very pleased with it!!

DarkNight

LSB Member
I just received the same thermal from cliff at third coast and absolutely love it. I hunt in Wisconsin. I think you will b very pleased with it!!
Hey Tido,
How you liking that Zeus? Are the batteries holding up in the cold weather?
For those that have the Zeus, are you comfortable with coyote ID at 200 yds and under?

Tido

Hey Tido,
How you liking that Zeus? Are the batteries holding up in the cold weather?
For those that have the Zeus, are you comfortable with coyote ID at 200 yds and under?
Yes dark night I absolutely love my Zeus!! It’s great in the cold weather and picture is even more crisp!! I made a battery pack that was shown on this site.. just the cr123 I was only able to get 45 min out of a set!! Didn’t mater if it was 10 degrees or 90. I have no problem with I’d at 200yds. Most of my shots here in Wisconsin are between 200 and 130. I can comfortably I’d at 500yds. I Tried to post some videos in past but it keeps giving me an error!! I’d be more than happy to send some of the videos I have via a text message or Facebook if you want.

DarkNight

LSB Member
Yes dark night I absolutely love my Zeus!! It’s great in the cold weather and picture is even more crisp!! I made a battery pack that was shown on this site.. just the cr123 I was only able to get 45 min out of a set!! Didn’t mater if it was 10 degrees or 90. I have no problem with I’d at 200yds. Most of my shots here in Wisconsin are between 200 and 130. I can comfortably I’d at 500yds. I Tried to post some videos in past but it keeps giving me an error!! I’d be more than happy to send some of the videos I have via a text message or Facebook if you want.
How long is your home made battery pack lasting in the cold weather?
Could you email videos? I appreciate the input.

Tido

How long is your home made battery pack lasting in the cold weather?
Could you email videos? I appreciate the input.
My batteries last bout six hours, and they are (2) 18650 battery’s. I have a second set as well. Yes I can email you them. Just shoot me your email.

DarkNight

LSB Member
For those of you that get to see through different scopes, like TX law man-
Still lurking & learning on here. I'm waiting to see how the 12 micron 640 flir scopes look when they come out but hoping you guys can help me.
In the context of coyote ID only what are your thoughts between the Zeus 640 75 mm, the Pulsar Trail XP50, & their 384 Xq version? I'm not excited about recording hunts but if the scope comes with it that's a bonus, I guess.
I want to minimize the chance of making the headline, "area hunter shoots lucky the dog."
Anyway, just wanted opinions from those that get to hunt behind different optics.
I wonder if the higher native mag units are what would be better?

First time, long time.

LSB is probably why I opted for a thermal scope. With many friends in prime boat hunting territory, I have long wanted to hunt boat at night. I recently got a new Armasight Zeus 336 5-20x75 (30 Hz) for just a bit over $2000+tax. I didn't really have time to quibble over "how is this one vs that one" given the price. I am curious how people would compare this price point to other scopes in this thread: the 640s, the MKIIs, etc.

Night Owl

LSB Member
First time, long time.

LSB is probably why I opted for a thermal scope. With many friends in prime boat hunting territory, I have long wanted to hunt boat at night. I recently got a new Armasight Zeus 336 5-20x75 (30 Hz) for just a bit over $2000+tax. I didn't really have time to quibble over "how is this one vs that one" given the price. I am curious how people would compare this price point to other scopes in this thread: the 640s, the MKIIs, etc.
So how fast do the boats sink after you put a round through the hull? How much faster does it sink with each additional hole?

I kid, I kid...

West D

LSB Member
New member here. Been doing some reading here & liked the thermal comparison you guys did. Wow! Thanks for doing that, what a lot of work! I don't know if I will be in the market for a thermal this year but did hope to learn from you guys. My hunting would be limited to coyote & fox in the cold weather we have here in illinois.
I understand 30 hz is sufficient for calling coyote and higher hz isn't really needed. I also read the OLED display is better for cold weather use.
There are several models that catch my eye. Pulsar apex 50s, Armasight Zeus, & ird mark 2. This scope will be on an AR platform in 204 ruger. Most shots will be between 50 yds & 200 yrs.
Do you guys recommend renting each before buying? Does anyone here do that?
How do you guys feel about positive ID with thermal scopes? I read a lot of guys saying you can't ID with thermal & run the risk of shooting someone's dog etc, etc. I have a Pulsar hd19a and at times use the animal's movement characteristics to help me decide what it might be but use my gen 2+ scope to ID & shoot.
What makes the mark 2 worth so much more money?
I appreciate & look forward to you sharing your experience & insight.
Thanks!

West D

LSB Member
I have a mark 2 35mm and a Pulsar Apex XQ50 384 res . purchase a Pulsar Apex XQ50 for your first scope . you wont be sorry. plus they are giving some really great buys on the apex models right now!!!