Dealing with cattle

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting Tactics & Tips' started by scrmblr1982cj8, Jul 4, 2019.

1. scrmblr1982cj8

scrmblr1982cj8 LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter

This is a new one for me.

I’ve lived in TX for less than 2 years and have never been around cattle. I’ve got access to 15 acres outside of Johnson City that has free range cattle roaming the property. There are 8 lots that allow the cattle to roam freely. The cattle eat all the corn I put on the ground and have knocked my hanging barrel around and dented it. The cows have learned that the feeder noises means dinner time.

I’ve thought about cutting hog panel in half and mounting about 3 feet high on fence posts to keep the cattle away from the feeder and allow hogs access to crawl under the panel.

Has anyone done anything like this or have any suggestions on keeping cattle away from feeders? I’m not sure what I can do to keep thousand pound animals away from the feeder, but I’d think that someone has dealt with this before.

Thanks,

Scram

2. der Teufel

der Teufel Livin' the Dream … SUS VENATOR CLUB

Cattle are actually rather intelligent, and will VERY quickly learn that your feeder = food!

When I've put up a feeder from which I wanted to exclude cattle but permit hogs I install a barbed wire fence around it. It takes about ten T-posts. I try to have some type of gate thru which I can come and go as opposed to crawling through the fence. Three or four strands of wire is generally sufficient, and they don't have to be strung professionally tight. Deer will still go under or over, but usually cows will stay out.

If a cow thinks it can get through a barrier, there's virtually no way to keep it out.
    OTOH, if a cow thinks it cannot get through a barrier, it generally won't even try.

Here's a photo. It was taken from a bit of a distance but you get the idea —

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  3. scrmblr1982cj8

scrmblr1982cj8 LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter

Awesome! Thank you! I would’ve never even thought about using Barbwire.

der Teufel and Brian Shaffer like this.
  4. Bakester

Bakester LSB Active Member SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Just as a heads up, watch your 6 around those cattle. A local that was mowing a pasture for a neighbor a couple weeks ago, got off the tractor to fool with something and got knocked over by an ornery cow. Nothing too serious but the potential was there and cut his day short.

Brian Shaffer and Chopperdrvr like this.
  5. scrmblr1982cj8

I totally get your statement. The last time I was out there, the cows were interested in me. A big black cow seemed a little irritated that I was there and took a few steps towards me. I had a chainsaw in my hands, so I made a gesture towards her and she walked off. It kinda felt like she was going to charge me.