Daytime Hogs

erForman

Greenwood, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've never seen so many hogs out in broad daylight this year. I'm just driving around the pasture checking on the cows and I'll see a sounder out under some trees or near a creek. They ignore my pickup and let me step out, lean over the hood and take a shot. Lot's of them between noon and 3pm. What's up with this? Wetter this year, more cover, cooler temps??? What are y'alls thoughts? This is in Wise Co.

Hog030.gif

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Unmolested hogs will sometimes act like that until the get educated

LSB Active Member
Dang good for you nice little squealer. Once I got the thermal the hogs have really been put down on the entire southern end of the property they just don't come around there any longer day or night. Traps are staying empty too and even venturing down into the swamp they just vacated the zip code. On rainy days I've heard from the cattle pushers they see them out all the time on the north end this summer and I saw a few last month during a downpour running across the road. We are SOAKED. While I'm a little bummed to not have any to shoot at in the fields I know if I want to go sit on my ass in a stand they are there to be had though. Daytime hogs are rare for us out int he open in FL, but easily had if you want to hike the bush.

Keep after 'em kill 'em all!

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Same thing on our Grayson County property. I think it's the weather.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hogs are diurnal by nature, but easily adapt to being crepuscular or nocturnal. So when not pressured or when they feel safe in an area, they will be out during the daytime, no problem. They go nocturnal when pressured because they are pressured less then.

Coolness is an interesting aspect, but under trees and near a creek doesn't sound like a weather issue. They might be doing the exact same thing when it is hotter as well. They are out of the direct sunlight and near water.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hard to tell their pattern but nice hog down!

waverider

LSB Member
Good stuff. We have had the same thing happen this year. Lots of daytime pigs compared to the previous two years. This particular area has had significant night time pressure. I have attributed it to the increase in grass and weeds (cover) with all of the rain that we have had, but who knows.