Coyotes, 'Dillo, & Hogs - Two Hunts

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Alright, this is going to be Hunt #1 and it is of the Coyotes and Armadillo from the first half of the evening. When I get the second video together, I will add it to this thread.

I started off at the property where I killed a hog on Monday. I figured there was a slim chance for the hogs to return and a good chance that some coyotes might be around to feed on the dead. Well, not much happened for the first couple of hours, so I ran through some exercises with the Pulsar Apex LRF (laser rangefinding) XQ38 and tried calling hogs and coyotes from two locations. Nada. Headed back to the truck when I spied two coyotes out in the field...where I had started the evening, LOL...

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cool video!

You guys considere armadillos pests out there in Texas? I know we have them around here, but I've only seen two in my lifetime.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cool video!

You guys considere armadillos pests out there in Texas? I know we have them around here, but I've only seen two in my lifetime.

Thanks! Depends on who you talk to, but I don't know anybody that works the land that would have a problem with killing armadillos. They certainly can be a huge pest, digging multiple burrows. This particular landowner wants me to kill hogs, coyotes, skunks, armadillos, bobcats, etc. Usually, I would rather not waste ammo or create the noise of killing an armadillo or skunk (especially with the smell), but the opportunity presented itself after I thought my targets were gone.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice!

Keep after 'em — and keep those videos coming!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Here you go!

Moved on to the next properly where the landowner had been letting his son and nephews hunt and fish for a couple of weeks. I don't know that they did any good because the first time I walked in after dark, I came across a large sounder. Aside from the normal aspect of the hunt, was a bit surprised when a stilled 230 lb boar showed signs of life 30 minutes after having been shot at least 3 times and he attempted to lunge at me. Fortunately, he was spined and injured in one foot. I unloaded my pistol at his head as he thrashed about on two legs and he fell over, but was still breathing and had blink reflex. A slow, well placed shot put an end to him, finally. This aspect, unfortunately was not on video, but trust me when I say that it was rather exciting. ALWAYS BE WARY WHEN WALKING UP ON DOWNED HOGS, PARTICULARLY LARGER HOGS, EVEN WHEN THEY APPEAR TO BE DEAD.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That second small one that you said you didn't see again looks like it turned around and you got it again. It went down, but looks like it got up and was making it's way to the fences. I would bet that it didn't get far.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Tough boar! Glad you remained alert.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hogs down and always good vid! Happy hunting!