Coyote Double

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I had two cousins in B-17 and B-24 one a top gunner (he didn't survive the war) then other a tail gunner, he did ... he - cousin Bill - was one of my early inspirations for shooting ... taught me a little reloading ... he is still alive at 89 ... and I've seen some USAAC material on leading targets ... and maybe that translates to hog/coyote hunting a bit ... but ...
There is theory and there is practice ... and I'd like to salt in a bit of theory ... that's just me ... but I do believe in practice!!!
(Oh and luck seems to go to those who are prepared :) )

Hecque half the time TLM moves the thermal onto the target in his videos I think his gonna miss ... and he doesn't ... :D .... so "gift" and "experience" sound like good words to me :)

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Theres a lot of confusion on how our eyes take in light and motion, so thats one variable that is subject to change.... but lets just say that the human eye takes "pictures" at a rate of about 3o frames per second. so if the optic runs at 30 frames per second.... and my eye "snaps a picture" at the beginning of 1/30th of a second, the thermal optic will snap a frame of the image somewhere within the next 1/30th of a second. 25 mph = 36.66 ft/sec. 36.66 ft/sec multiplied by 1/30 of a second = 1.22 ft maximum lag distance at 100 yds (probably gonna be more like half that bc odds are that your eye and the scope are going to snap frames closer together within that 1/30 of a second) so 1.22/2 = .61 ft.
A 60 hz scope would be half of that so .61ft/2 = .3 ft additional lead at 100 yds...
A bullet with the speed of 2500 fps will take .12 of a second to travel 100 yds (actually a bit longer bc the bullet begins to slow after it exits the muzzle... but lets keep it "simple"). so an animal traveling 25 mph will cover 4.392 ft in .12 of a second or will need a 4.392 ft lead assuming the animal is traveling perfectly perpendicular at 100 yds. add the .61 ft due to lag time between your eye and the scope and you get about a 5 foot lead, which looks about right according to that video.
Im no mathematician so correct me if im wrong but i think thats close to accurate.

other variables that matter- Angle the animal is cutting across your FOV- Usually not going to be perfectly perpendicular.
Actual speed of the animal. 10 mph vs 40 mph is going to make a big difference in lead.
Actual distance of animal. 80 yds vs 120 yds will make a difference in lead.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
All that makes sense to me - thanks!

So maybe there is a case for the 60hz thermals? Some have told me the 60hz is just "marketing hype" ... but for situations involving motion, and in particular in this case, it seems like the 60hz would provide an extra "frame" thus reducing the "lag time". I have a 60hz device and when I pan quickly like 45 maybe 180 degrees in 1-2 seconds I notice the image "fuzzes up" ... but when I stop panning the image clears up. I have expected that if I was at 30hz, the "fuzz up" would be more noticable. But my Apollo only runs on 60hz.