Cooking a whole wild Hog....First timer here....

Bocephus

LSB Member
I'm planning on heading to the great state of Texas to back me a little hog to do a whole hog roast with a bunch of friends for the 4th of July.

I have never done this before, so naturally all my info and sources will come from forums and youtube videos.

I plan to do one of those bury in the ground, cover in dirt, style of cookouts. I've had that a few times in my life, and it was amazing, so I'm hoping I can learn how to do that.

A lot of my questions right now stem with how to prep the hog....

From what I see, you leave the skin on, but take the hair off? How does one do that effectively?

From there, do you just gut it like you would any other time? Any vital things I need to remember to remove as well at that time?

After this is complete, do I let the pig sit in a large cooler with salt water to start the brining process?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryan

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I do skin mine and smoke them but am doing under 100lb hogs but other leave the skin on and that is a lot of work.
pig%20smoke%20002after.jpg

NYCHOGKILLER

LSB Member
I'm planning on heading to the great state of Texas to back me a little hog to do a whole hog roast with a bunch of friends for the 4th of July.

I have never done this before, so naturally all my info and sources will come from forums and youtube videos.

I plan to do one of those bury in the ground, cover in dirt, style of cookouts. I've had that a few times in my life, and it was amazing, so I'm hoping I can learn how to do that.

A lot of my questions right now stem with how to prep the hog....

From what I see, you leave the skin on, but take the hair off? How does one do that effectively?

From there, do you just gut it like you would any other time? Any vital things I need to remember to remove as well at that time?

After this is complete, do I let the pig sit in a large cooler with salt water to start the brining process?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryan
Ive seen it done with a blow torch..... a small one. They hung the hog and just went over it inch by inch with the torch and totally burned all the hair off.....

Drift

LSB Member
A "hog scalder".
Interesting story. As I understand it, the modern porcelain bathtub started out as a metal tub that was commonly used to scald the hair off hogs. Workes very well. A couple hundred years ago some enterprising soul put porcelain around the metal and sold it to people.
Sounds to me like you are doing a luau. Thats a lot of work but worth it.

Bocephus

LSB Member
That is an interesting fact! ha.

Yea its turning out to be a lot of work, BUT - if all goes well it should be worth it.