collaspable reloading bench

Rappland

LSB Member
I built this to begin loading. I had to have it collapse so I could get my wife's car back in the garage after I'm done. It's 2x4 feet. I'm going to get a Lee single stage with base plate so I can put the press away rather than have it sticking out permanently. Sorry for the crappy pictures, I used my hand me down phone cause I'm too cheap the buy a good one. Due you guys foresee any problems with this set up?collaspsed.jpg ready to load.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah going to be too flimsy. I would add some fold up legs to it to make more stable when down. OR have a couple 4x4 legs to slip into mounts on the front when down.

Rappland

LSB Member
It's reinforced on the bottom. I weigh 200lbs and was sitting on it yesterday after I sanded it down, slightly bouncing on it. It didn't budge. It ain't too flimsy. I plan to reload metallic rifle cartridges not 150mm Howitzer shells.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah by the pic it just looks like a board mounted on a sheetrock wall and not showing the mounting method..sorry.

Rappland

LSB Member
No problem, I did not mean to come off as rude, I realized I had after I had posted. I'm just trying to convey the message to future readers that this thing was built to double as a work bench and was build to withstand a bit of pounding. It has three brackets rated at 180LBS each. It's anchored on 1x4's with each hinge containing four 3 inch screws in the 3 studs. The top is 3/4 inch thick and the back 14 inches is reinforced with another 3/4 inches of plywood so that I could run 1.25 inch screws in from the bottom. It should hold up and if not, redesign and rebuild.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It should be fine...

Happy Sink0 Di Mayo
upload_2017-5-5_16-53-46.jpeg

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My concern would be ripping the table from the wall if you play too much leverage on your press.

Rappland

LSB Member
how much leverage is needed? I have put a good 200lbs on this bench and it seems solid, i suppose I could put a leg under the press side