Clip on night vision/thermal how it works in front of a dayscope.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I get so many questions on clip on devises and what I actually see while hunting with them so I made this video to show

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
interesting, how do you line up the Apollos crosshairs w the Vortex to 1 be accurate and 2 to be the same and then can you then see both as you are shooting where we only see the Apollo?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good video there T.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
interesting, how do you line up the Apollos crosshairs w the Vortex to 1 be accurate and 2 to be the same and then can you then see both as you are shooting where we only see the Apollo?

Just like you were sighting in the scope. Changing the cross hairs location does not change bullet point of impact, you are just moving them to the point of impact. It also lets me know when I take the clip on off the rifle and put it back on that I got it in the same spot.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Thanks. I have been wondering just what your view was through your scope.

I have also been wondering if degradation/loss of resolution was a serious problem, but really it seems that you don't get full field of view until about 2.75x or so, and the view of the tire and suspension was excellent. I was looking for sipes in the tire, even at 6x!

Here's a Q: Comparing the IR Hunter MK II to the Apollo, does one have a larger screen relative to it's view as you look through it? I was a little surprised that the screen of the Apollo was so small compared to the size of the view.

I am considering either the Apollo or the 20mm 1.45 IR Hunter MK II (or maybe Patrol?) for all around use. Scanning, rifle scope and clip on as the need dictates. The day optic would be a Swarovski 1.1x4x24, with an illuminated reticle, or, if my son and I get a second AR, a 1.1x4x24 S&B, also with an illuminated reticle. Would you recommend one of the thermals over the other? If so, why?

Thanks for your time and effort teaching us all!

JPK

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The screen is set like that so at 3-4x the resolution will be the best instead of losing resolution. At least that is how it was explained to me because I asked the same question. I do not know how it compares in screen size the last time I looked through the IR hunter was last April. I know it looks significantly smaller than the zeus screen but im not sure if it's actually smaller or just set farther in the unit.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Clip-ons usually have a smaller screen because they are mostly intended to be run in front of a magnified optic.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
While I'm waiting for my scope mount for V/O 1-6x I'm re-trying running the EOTECH + 3x magnifier behind the Apollo. If I flip the 3x to the side and focus the Apollo at 80yds (which is my normal focus distance for the Apollo) and then flip the 3x magnifier back in line, the image, of handwarmers on a target board at 40-50yds, is fuzzy. I can hit them, but the image is fuzzy. I've tried to adjust the focus on the Apollo but cannot make the fuzziness go away, except by flipping the 3x to the side. Maybe this is just a "joe" problem!

Gh6Q5iGh.jpg

JPK

LSB Active Member
Thanks. You all's answers make sense, no loss of resolution or field of view up to about 3x... As if it were a dedicated scope...

JPK

JPK

LSB Active Member
It would seem to me that if the view through the EO Tech and the Apollo is clear, but it gets fuzzy when the 3x is added in, the source of the fuzziness is the magnifier

Can you focus the magnifier? Is the view through the magnifier with just the EO Tech clear?

JPK

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
While I'm waiting for my scope mount for V/O 1-6x I'm re-trying running the EOTECH + 3x magnifier behind the Apollo. If I flip the 3x to the side and focus the Apollo at 80yds (which is my normal focus distance for the Apollo) and then flip the 3x magnifier back in line, the image, of handwarmers on a target board at 40-50yds, is fuzzy. I can hit them, but the image is fuzzy. I've tried to adjust the focus on the Apollo but cannot make the fuzziness go away, except by flipping the 3x to the side. Maybe this is just a "joe" problem!

Are you saying that no matter what you do you can not focus the Apollo with the 3x magnifier? No magnification it focuses fine, add 3X and no go?

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks. I have been wondering just what your view was through your scope.

I have also been wondering if degradation/loss of resolution was a serious problem, but really it seems that you don't get full field of view until about 2.75x or so, and the view of the tire and suspension was excellent. I was looking for sipes in the tire, even at 6x!

Here's a Q: Comparing the IR Hunter MK II to the Apollo, does one have a larger screen relative to it's view as you look through it? I was a little surprised that the screen of the Apollo was so small compared to the size of the view.

I am considering either the Apollo or the 20mm 1.45 IR Hunter MK II (or maybe Patrol?) for all around use. Scanning, rifle scope and clip on as the need dictates. The day optic would be a Swarovski 1.1x4x24, with an illuminated reticle, or, if my son and I get a second AR, a 1.1x4x24 S&B, also with an illuminated reticle. Would you recommend one of the thermals over the other? If so, why?

Thanks for your time and effort teaching us all!

JPK
Out of curiosity I mounted a Mark2 20 mm IRHunter in front of a Primary Arms 1-4x scope on my MP22. This is not the clearest scope by no means, but I found it completely usable for varmint control. Without having a Zeus to compare I could not tell you if the screen size is any different. On all scope settings I only see the screen in the IR Hunter.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
... It would seem to me that if the view through the EO Tech and the Apollo is clear, but it gets fuzzy when the 3x is added in, the source of the fuzziness is the magnifier

Can you focus the magnifier? Is the view through the magnifier with just the EO Tech clear? ...

View through EOTECH with or without magnifier, in day time, is clear.

==

... Are you saying that no matter what you do you can not focus the Apollo with the 3x magnifier? No magnification it focuses fine, add 3X and no go? ...

Yes, that is the problem statement.

JPK

LSB Active Member
rgilbert,

Thanks for your reply and the info.

When you look through the 20mm MKII alone do you see all screen? In other words, no black border like TLM's view of the Apollo on 1X?

How's the MKII 290mm working for you? That is the one I'm considering in addition to the Apollo. Now that you have the 20mm, is that the one you would choose again, or would you go with the 35mm?

Thanks for your help!

JPK

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
JPK any of the clip ons you should see the whole screen and more at 1x.

As for the 3x magnifier mine is clear no trouble focusing it so not sure what Is going on with yours either the magnifier is messed up or the MK1 eyeball is.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just a word in here. From what I have read with clip ons some scopes are not compatible with NV. Some say so, others a person might have to call the maker to see if they are or not, especially with the dot or EOTECH type scopes. That is what I have read on more than one occasion. BANG BANG!!

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
rgilbert,

Thanks for your reply and the info.

When you look through the 20mm MKII alone do you see all screen? In other words, no black border like TLM's view of the Apollo on 1X?

How's the MKII 290mm working for you? That is the one I'm considering in addition to the Apollo. Now that you have the 20mm, is that the one you would choose again, or would you go with the 35mm?

Thanks for your help!

JPK
I went back and checked. Without the day scope I can crowd the unit and see the edges of the screen. When I have the day scope mounted TLM is right, unless I'm up to 2.5 I can see the outside of the screen and tube. I like the IR Hunters so far. I've been testing the 20mm and 35mm version of the Mark2. It depends on your type of hunting as to what unit I would recommend. I like them both. I killed a hog at 180 steps with the 20mm and another at 80. It is no problem to identify a hog or deer with either scope IMO. Some others may need to get used to them. I will keep doing further testing in the name of science. LOL I mean I am going to use the crap out of them. I won't baby them and will treat them as I owned them for hunting. I am very hard on equipment.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
But TLM and WIG have the same model EOTECH and the same model 3x magnifier, so if TLM's is compatible then WIG's should be. Now the MK1EBs are different, so will check with the manuf on that component !!! :D

TLM, do you have your magnifier as close as you can get it to the EOTECH? I tried as close as possible and also 1 rail back, no improvement.

I will try checking the diopter on the 3x magnifier. I tried adjusting it at night and could make things worse but not better. I'll try adjusting the diopter during the day and see if that helps. Different MK1EB might require different diopter setting.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just a word in here. From what I have read with clip ons some scopes are not compatible with NV. Some say so, others a person might have to call the maker to see if they are or not, especially with the dot or EOTECH type scopes. That is what I have read on more than one occasion. BANG BANG!!

That is when the night vision is mounted behind the behind the scope. Some optics have a nv mode which turns the lighted reticle down so it will not burn the nv.

With a clip on the nv or thermal goes in front so any day optic can be used.

I think there is even more confusion than what I realized so I will do another more in depth video.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is when the night vision is mounted behind the behind the scope. Some optics have a nv mode which turns the lighted reticle down so it will not burn the nv.

With a clip on the nv or thermal goes in front so any day optic can be used.

I think there is even more confusion than what I realized so I will do another more in depth video.
This answered several of my questions, i may try renting one just to get a taste!