Class 3 stamped lower

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Can you change calibers? Or due you have to stay with same caliber it was stamped with. I think I already know the answer but what the heck.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think as long as you can return it to the original (keep the original)you can change caliber.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It was stamped for a 6.8 S I can do 5.58 upper with. 10" barrel? Or a 458 socom SBR upper?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Don't take this for the gospel but I think you could have Ident markings engrave it to multi caliber. You would have to ask them they are class 3 experts.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They did my engraving. I think it just lists my gun trust. My name a where Mfg.

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You can have whatever caliber or barrel length you desire on your registered lower receiver regardless of what your tax stamp says. The only catch is if you were to sell the orginal upper you had (6.8) then it is recommended that you send a letter to the NFA branch stating you changed the permanent configuration of your SBR.

For example, you registered the lower as a 12.5" 6.8mm. You decided you wanted to sell that upper and use a 10.5" 5.56 upper instead. This is were the letter is recommended.

I have a stamped lower for a 12.5" 6.8 lower which also shares a 12.5" 5.56 upper. I also have a 11.5" 5.56 stamped lower that shares a 11.3" 6.8 upper.

You do not need to engrave anything unless you did a form 1. And this engraving only covers "trust/individuals name and city and state". You do not need to engrave a caliber.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for the great info my lower does not state the caliber. Good to know

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ppapago is correct!!

Thanks for the great info my lower does not state the caliber. Good to know
Rob,
Even though your lower does not state a caliber it would require it to have a caliber specified on the form 1. If this is not a SBR then it doesn't matter but If this is a SBR then you must keep an upper that is described on your form 1.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So I can keep the stated upper on the form but I can use other SBR uppers? Say a 458 socom with a 14" barrel or a 10.5" 5.56

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes, long as you have original upper that is described on your form 1. When I had 1 lower and 2 uppers I kept the registered caliber upper in the case even if I knew I was not going to use is it.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good sorry I get it would rather absolutely sure than get fined and lose my others class 3 stamps.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It is all pain I am in due to,loss of disk between L-4 and L-5. Get fixed this Wednesday can't wait. Sitting here with ice pack to get the pulsing to stop. Blows up my knee.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It is all pain I am in due to,loss of disk between L-4 and L-5. Get fixed this Wednesday can't wait. Sitting here with ice pack to get the pulsing to stop. Blows up my knee.
Ohhhhh, ok.... I unnerstan'. Bad back pain SUCKS !!!

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ident is correct and they did my engraving for me also. The form 1 has to have a caliber listed. I use three different uppers, all SBR.

In all the years I have been shooting, and using suppressors, it is the only way I shoot now, I have never been questioned . I do keep my papers with me if the weapons leave the house.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
And Rob, I had the same surgery, L4/5 ten years ago and it was the best thing I did. Wish I had done it earlier. Recovery and therapy takes a while but much better later. Took about three months before I was back to my old self.

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
One more thing that needs to be clarrified considering SBR uppers. If you have multiple SBR uppers for one sbr lower then you CANNOT have spare non SBR lower receivers lying around. This falls under the whole "constructive possession" BS that the ATF claims is a crime.

There is a way around this though. Put pistol buffer assemblies on your spare lowers. This way they have a legal match with your SBR uppers.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don' have any hanging around. Went the pistol route on my my Sig 5.56 until I got the stamp. The rifle in the back ground in. POF NP3 coated lower with a CSC Arms 7.62 x 39 upper
sigSBRsuppressed1_zpscd02f6d2.jpg

Last edited: