Christmas Present hogs

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
A friend asked if I would take her son hog hunting for Christmas. We made arrangements for a Friday hunt. Guess what? A nasty front blew in! I really didn’t expect to see much as the temp dropped 30 degrees, the wind was blowing 20-30 mph and it was raining lightly and threatening to storm. I told them I didn’t expect to see very many, but we’d get out and try it and if we didn’t see any in a few hours we’d try for another day with better weather. Well I was wrong! Shhhh don’t tell my wife, she thinks I’m always right.

I picked Hunter and his dad up at 3pm we headed to the range so he could shoot my rifle and the thermal at a hand warmer. He did just fine on the range, so we headed for the woods. We tried to call hogs first, not sure they could hear us for the wind and rain. Nothing came. We moved a few hundred yards deeper in the woods and I was just about to try calling again. First I scanned with my new X320 thermal device and thought I could see something back in the brush. Sure enough it was hogs! We snuck in a little closer and I could see a big red looking hog. We got set up and waited patiently for her to offer a shot. She offered a quartering towards us shot and I told him to aim right behind her ear. He dropped her right there! We cut her up and packed her out of the woods, checked one more spot and went for supper. After dark we headed back out. The first place we checked had about 20 hogs there. Again we had to wait for a clear shot due to oil field tanks in the background. A boar presented a shot and Hunter dropped him right there! In the next field we spotted a group way off and closed the distance. Before we got set up I told him if the hogs scattered at the shot, try to get another. I explained how to follow the running hog with the sight right on his nose and squeeze. He got on the first hog, another boar and dropped it. Hogs scattered at top speed. Hunter followed and dropped another hog made a few shots at more. Then suddenly the second hog got up and took off. Hunter made two follow up shots and connected both times, putting her down for good. In the next field we spotted another small group, but they were on a mission. We never did catch up to them for a shot. We headed back towards the main road and spotted a lone hog. I told Hunter this was a big hog and we would have to hustle to get in range before he got down wind of us. We made just in time. Hunter got set up and dropped that big dude like a rock!

Follow me now. This was his first time to shoot at hogs ever! He dropped four in their tracks, one shot each! He hit a running hog 3 out of 3 times! That’s my kind of hunter, Hunter!

Merry Christmas

1479005_635152456523451_1310761789_n.jpg

1475902_635152566523440_640985703_n.jpg

1507866_635152643190099_1919635813_n.jpg

1508024_635152709856759_834986960_n.jpg

1468796_635152773190086_622268399_n.jpg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats Hunter !! But, hey!?! What 'bout dear ol' dad? Didn't he get to pop any pork too?

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Way to go!! Some of the best nights of hog hunting have been during snow, sleet, and cold rain. Just had a great one last night in these exact conditions. More on that later.

Good job Hunter!

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way to go Hunter, ahhh to have young eyes again! Merry Christmas! Good guiding Glenn!

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
yes he would make the club. Had he been a fat hog he would have broke 300, but he was thin for some reason.

Harris hawker

LSB Member
Mazeltav!!!
Could he be the youngest?
Need to get him on the forum just to put it on his name.
Very cool (pun) night.
Hope he keeps doing it!!

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
He will keep hunting something for sure.