Chess Match in the Night

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
20140712_003148.jpg 20140712_002604.jpg 20140712_002216.jpg
Shot 3 hogs last night. There were about 25 in the field but they were mixed in with about 50 cows. The hogs kept heading south and we thought we were going to catch them after they cleared the cows, but then they heard north. .

We adjusted or stalk and thought we were going to head one group off then the cows ran them another direction. This went on 2 more times over about 30 minutes. Thankfully, another group headed our way, the cows cleared the area, and we were in the right spot.

Bryan dropped the first pig, I picked up a runner, and my rifle mounted pvs 14 went fuzzy. I thought the magnifier came loose, but it was still tight. I grab the focus ring and nothing helped. It was so bright I could see a hog running to us without the night vision. I quickly switched to the pvs 14 on my helmet and used the ir laser to drop him. Bryan dropped 1 more to make 3 total.

I have not had the best of luck with hear lately. Between form 4G being lost in e-forms, my rifle jamming last trip, and now a pvs 14 that won't focus. I guess I just can't shake this funk I'm in. Hopefully all that happened is one of the lock rings that hold the tube in place came loose.

Last edited:

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I will have to load photos later. I'm out throwing hay and there isn't enough cell service to upload efficiently.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
were you eating kit kats again??

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The more stories I read about rifle mounted PVS-14s the more I think it is a huge mistake to do so.

Paging Jason, pick-up on line one.

if anyone can fix it he can

Last edited:

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The more stories I read about rifle mounted PVS-14s the more I think it is a huge mistake to do so.

Paging Jason, pick-up on line one.

if anyone can fix it he can

It's fixed. The lock ring just came loose. It was a fluke thing I guess. Pvs 14 are easy to disassemble, clean, and assemble. That's all this one really needed. This is the first problem I have ever had with a rifle mounted pvs 14.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Jason brought something to my attention about this. When the lock ring comes loose your contact points are not making good contact and you can etch them with the power. He cleaned mine up for me and purged the system. I'm glad you got it up and running again.