Cherry pop'n the 7.62x39

LSB Active Member
Got off a conference call at 4 and decided I'd at least get the new PWS MK116 7.62x39 dialed in. Gorgeous night about 12mph out of the east and 85*. 3 shots and I'm GTG.
IMG_5799.JPG
Just about sunset I watched the news and whoofed a sammy down. Heck why not hunt my way out the south gate? Made a rip to my fav rye fields have not hunted in almost a month they are so high just unhuntable with all the cattle in there. Oh well head for the series of gates to get out and peek at a feeder. Two HUGE bucks already dropped their horns at a food plot just really big bodied deer....such is luck. Pan over to the preserver fence and see something. Looks hoggy. Gotta back track about 500 yards on foot to keep from winding him. Sure enough nice boar in there with 2 piglets I'm sure mama was near, but I wanted to get some blood on this new pipe and get home at a decent hour. Got to a fence post about 75 yards away which is actually a pretty long shot for us typically well under 50. I was dialed in at the range hammering the 4" popper dead center so hey why not go for an ear hole? He down. Man this rifle is freakishly accurate I was not on paper, but I wore the center of the popper out at the range and if this was 1" from where I aimed it's news to me. 125g Wolf SP. Next one will be a double lung to see how the Wolf does in that capacity.

IMG_5802.JPG

IMG_5808.JPG IMG_5803.JPG

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Blowin' in their ears now, eh? Call you the boar-whisperer now.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Oh yeah, he's seeing red now ...

Well, actually he's not responding but that's a good thing.

Keep After 'Em!

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Can you hear me - now ??
Good shooting 437 !

bar-d

Head Wrangler, Chief Manure Manager: Bar-D Cattle
Boar to vet, "Doc, I got this ringing in my ears"...............................

LSB Active Member
thanks! fun way to break in the new rifle. zeroed in quick, ran a couple of different kinds of wolf through it to see how it eats(perfect) then get first blood on the way out the south gate. wish i coulda stayed lots of activity i think it could have been a very hoggy night.

LSB Active Member
i know jan 31st last hunt! when i popped that fatty i knew i had a rough work stretch coming up, but no idea it would be 3 weeks. felt great to get out last night. hope to maybe get out this weekend b/c next week stinks:/

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lawdy he has a splittin headache I bet.

LSB Active Member
Yea he had some issues. Gave another quite a headache last night he was a fatty. I believe the hogs in our area have some neurological problems this ol boy had a bad neck. Really liking the 7.62x39 runs like a beast and delivers these Wolf 125 SP's with a lot of stink. Nice to have 30 cal knock down ammo on the cheap. If you look closely behind me in a couple of the pics you can see what this guy was up to the ground is just destroyed looked like a roto tiller had been in there.
IMG_5818.JPG IMG_5819.JPG IMG_5820.JPG

Last edited:

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You don't like giving them a chance to run do you.

LSB Active Member
ha! actually we just don't get sounders or shots at multiples very often so we are programmed to go for the money shot around here. the most common presentation we get i'd say 90% of the time is the following. 10-20 yards out from the state property fence or the wildlife preserve fence which borders our southern and western property edges. they never come farther out than that no matter if we put roll barrels, dig holes with goodies or plant rye. the boars come out, rarely sows and piglets venture into the open.
they are total swamp pigs and like that security. usually you get a shot at 1 and if you are lucky 2 hogs and they are long gone to freedom it's a 3-5 second window and if you get a shot at a 2nd one it's b/c one of them got confused and ran away from the woods. i do want to test this x39 on body shots, but i'm so programmed on dropping them as fast as possible if i get a head shot i take it. they patrol the edge of the property and if they see something they like outside the comfort zone they will venture out a smidge, but not much. myron morrow has been here 2x. both hogs he shot were....lone boars max 10 yards from the woods. that is 11 hogs for me in 2018 and the furthest from those boundaries was 20 yards. i did have 'the airplane' one who was crossing a road b/t heads but i spooked him and he ran about 1/4 mile across a field to the preserve woods, then came out a few yards and got him after that long stalk. plus we have so many cattle there are times we just can't shoot at them b/c there is no way to get an angle on them since they don't come out. we have plenty of pigs around, but very frustrating to hunt many times. there is a slight chance i may be headed to texas in may though can't wait to experience texas hoggin!

Last edited:

LSB Active Member
Kind of a neat picture my buddy just sent me he was on the road when I stalked in on that big brown one. He was videoing but I'm fortunately as you can see the battery is about to die in about 10 seconds before I squeezed the trigger it shut off so just a still frame worth looking at. You can just see the hog glowing off to the right in the distance he has his head down in the grass.... I was taking about five steps and rechecking with my thermal because I was walking on Oak leaves it was so noisy I still have no idea how I got in there to shoot him just dumb luck he was so hungry his ears didn't work !image.jpeg

Last edited: