Check your 90gr GD's

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was in the process of cleaning up my batch of 90gr GD pull downs and came across things we should look out for.

First "Weight"
Most of them fell around 89.7gr - 90.0gr, but there where a few that where above and below that range. From the 250 that did I found the range to be from 89.5gr - 90.2gr. I typically don't weight each bullet and separate them even though it makes for more consistent ammo

During the cleaning process I found a odd ball. It didn't look like a 115 fusion, but it didn't look like a 90 GD either. I weighted it and it came in at 96.7gr, way over the normal range and if I loaded it as a 90gr I could have had a kaboom. So after being paranoid I weighed each bullet and I found another odd ball, but this time it weighted in at 88.3gr. These where the only two from 250, but I assume there are more out there.

Second "cannalure"
In my inspection process I found a few that had a bad cannalure. Being either in the wrong area or too light. There was about 4 from a batch of 250.

So just as a heads up, be sure to check your batch before loading. These bullets where rejected by ATK for a reason, but I think most of the rejections where from case issues. From the looks of things though there are a few that the bullet failed. I highly suggest that you quality control any pull downs that you may get and be sure you are working with consistent bullets.

Hopefully you guy will be seeing a range report from me soon, but work and hunting keeps getting in the way. Stay Tuned

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The odd ball looked different right? Other than that one I don't see any problems with my typical 50 yard shot.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The heavier one did, just looked like a longer 90gr GD. As for the lighter one, I didn't notice until I weighted it.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A few grains lighter does not bother me a heavier one will.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just weighed 100 out of a bag of 1000 the lightest was 88.4gr heaviest was 90.7gr with one 115gr fusion in the mix but it was easy to see with the boattail. Average weight was 89.8

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just weighed 100 out of a bag of 1000 the lightest was 88.4gr heaviest was 90.7gr with one 115gr fusion in the mix but it was easy to see with the boattail. Average weight was 89.8
That's good news. I wasn't too concerned with the lighter also, but that 97.7gr bullet put up a red flag. Just have to keep a watchful eye when loading.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Sorted mine tonighted but I didn't weigh any. 3 had smashed bases and 4 were 115 fusions. About 50 needed sealant wiped off. I figured I would weigh 100 at a time as I load them.