Chasing Hogs over Christmas and new toys

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Spent the Christmas break in OK taking down pecan trees during the day and looking for hogs at night. I am guessing it was maybe the full moon (with little to no clouds) but the few hogs I saw were skittish as hell and they were few and far between despite lack of hunting pressure. Over the week I saw hogs three times. Once was a single small hog transitting our property, never stopped, just kind of fast walked. The next night, same thing with a small group of hogs but going North to South instead of East to West.
One evening, I drove 3.5 miles down our dirt road and used the thermal to glass both sides of the road, saw only one hog well off the road and it was in a field I cannot hunt. Very discouraging.

On a good note, my father in law surprised my two boys with their first rifles. Each was given a Henry Golden Boy in .17 MHR. Very smooth rifles and the warm weather made for plenty of shooting time.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Heck ya , Nice gifts !! On the hog note, better luck next time. BANG BANG!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great gifts for the kids! Why take down pecan trees?

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Great gifts for the kids! Why take down pecan trees?

One had gotten struck by lightening a few months ago and another had just started to die, not sure why the second one died, no obvious damage or insects. Cut and split those two, and then split another 3 cords or so that I got behind on when the log splitter went down last year.

Bought back 100 pounds of fresh pecan chunks for my buddy to use for smoking meats.

Here is the old stuff and some of the newer pecan.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh man that stuff is like gold, great for the smoker...jealous here!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks like the little shaver needs to grow into that Henry. Fine rifles too. I'd like one in .44Mag to pair with my Ruger SBH 3-screw .44Mag.

All that pecan wood ! Yum.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Too bad in the hogs. Great rifles for the boys, bet they were excited.

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Too bad in the hogs. Great rifles for the boys, bet they were excited.
Dave, are they especially skittish for you during full moons with no cloud cover? I have noticed they are a little less abundant during full moons but have not seen them that skittish. Maybe they are getting hunting pressure of which I am not aware.

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh man that stuff is like gold, great for the smoker...jealous here!
Yessir, love pecan. I use pecan in the smoke house when we make deer sausage.
Served up the dried deer sausage (think jerky) at the last Meet&Great.

Dennis

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Spent the Christmas break in OK taking down pecan trees during the day and looking for hogs at night. I am guessing it was maybe the full moon (with little to no clouds) but the few hogs I saw were skittish as hell and they were few and far between despite lack of hunting pressure. Over the week I saw hogs three times. Once was a single small hog transitting our property, never stopped, just kind of fast walked. The next night, same thing with a small group of hogs but going North to South instead of East to West.
One evening, I drove 3.5 miles down our dirt road and used the thermal to glass both sides of the road, saw only one hog well off the road and it was in a field I cannot hunt. Very discouraging.

On a good note, my father in law surprised my two boys with their first rifles. Each was given a Henry Golden Boy in .17 MHR. Very smooth rifles and the warm weather made for plenty of shooting time.

Glad to see your sons starting early with the Henry rifle, looks like he is having fun and learning at the same time.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yessir, love pecan. I use pecan in the smoke house when we make deer sausage.
Served up the dried deer sausage (think jerky) at the last Meet&Great.

Dennis
Yes he did!!! And it was AWESOME!!!